Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #1

Comparing stealth light bulbs

I'd like to put these in my marker and tail lights, but there is a prolifieration of brands and prices online and on ebay.

I'd love to go with the $6 pair of bulbs from Taiwan rather than the $30 pair sold locally, hoping that a bulb is a bulb is a bulb.

Anyone got any experience with this?

Old 05-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #2

Your $30 bulb set at the local parts store probobly came from Taiwan anyways lol. Just remember how long shipping takes overseas to get them. My friend bought a set of LED's from a China manufacturer and they told him a few days for shipment, it took around 40 days to get to the USA
Tim1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #3

Garage
Not sure about the local bulbs you saw, but I have had great luck with the bulbs I bought from Stealth Bulbs Home page (no affiliation). They were about $30 but they have money back guarantee and lifetime warranty. I had just been (almost, I had to fight for a PayPal refund) screwed over by someone else selling similar bulbs at a lower cost, so I liked the peace of mind these guys offered. They say not made in China and better coating process.
Good luck with whatever bulbs you buy,,, I think it makes a nice visual upgrade to the car.
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

My experience is trial and error. Sometimes the local expensive stuff is exactly the same as the cheap foreign stuff .... but sometimes not.

I usually go with the cheap stuff first (on non-critical parts like this) and if it turns out to be junk then I haven't lost much money and can always go with the more expensive option later.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #5

That's kinda where my thinking is too. I can get the signal bulbs and the side markers all for about $20 shipped so if they do turn out to be crappy, so what. I think that's the route I'll take.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #6

I just have to say, I have purchased both. You will be happier paying a little extra for better bulbs. Cheaper bulbs tend to be not "chromed" all the way and are very cheap, even the amber light they emit is lower quality. Stick with the real deal and you wont be disappointed, specially if you are on the picky side.

xtremecc is offline   Reply With Quote