Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #1

2 flats, 1 spare, lucky me.

I was driving late last night at midnight from D.C./Maryland to Philadelphia, PA.
I drove only 37 miles of my 170 mile trip.

Suddenly, a pot hole came out of nowhere on I-95. My driver front tire blew. I pulled over. Put on the spare. Started accelerating from a stop. 1st gear, 2nd gear, pop. Second tire blew from a metal piece on the side of the road.

What did I do? I continued driving with the flat front passenger tire and 1 donut on the driver side front. I got to the nearest exit and bought a few cans of fix-a-flat.

Since the engine and weight was in the back of the car, the front rim always stayed 1 inch off the ground even with the deflated tire.

Turns out Fix-a-Flat only works for about 25-35 miles before the tire gets flat again. I used 4 cans for the trip. By the time I got home, it was flat again.

Whoever gets into this situation where they don't have AAA, internet, a nearby friend, or a # for a tow truck. DON'T drive slow or brake hard. The slower you drive, the flatter the tire gets and the more the steering wheel forcefully turns the car into different directions. It is hard driving with a flat tire when you are driving slow-Just like not having power steering. I tried to stay at 60mph so that the rotational forces keep the tire inflated and reduce the weight on the tire.

I was lucky that I never lost control of the car. Hopefully, this does not happen to any of you guys.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #2

Garage
Bloody hell, sounds like a nightmare! Glad to hear you made it out okay. Wish we had the road quality of the Germans and Japanese. :ah:
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:45 AM   #3

Sorry to hear about your bad luck but I am glad you made it home safe. I hope your wheels were not damaged. You story made me think of an old news report that I recently saw that showed how well the Boxster performs with only three wheels. I am sure it has been around here before but I thought I would post it for the new people like me. By the way, I thought this might be Mr. Danger's car with the built in flame throwers and smoke screen options.

Yellow Boxster Police Chase.

PORSCHE BOXTER police chase in Brisbane, Australia caught on camera - 7 News - YouTube
Propes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #4

I had to drive on a flat until I reached a safe place to turn off...here is the result. Thank goodness it didn't destroy the rim.

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #5

I don't know how you managed it, but driving 60 on a flat tire is an extremely bad idea, and unsafe for those around you.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #6

That's quiet a gamble you took there. If you call 911 the police will call a tow truck for you. Had there been a mishap while you were driving with a hobbled wheel and it was proven that you knew it was in this condition, it's hard to fathom all of the potential liabilities you may have faced. Even your own insurance copany's lawyers would have washed their hands of you citing to some fine print in the policy about your operating an unsafe vehicle.
I don't know about most insurance companies but with Progressive they give you road side assistance as part of the coverage. Others will charge you a little extra.
When you get two flats and actually make it a service station or pep boys it's time to fold them. Clearly the odds were against you on this day.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
Registered Boxster abuser

That's why there is AAA
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #8

AAA did not help me. I called them. I am canceling my service with them. They are useless. I once called them to help me a while back. It took them 5 hours to get to me.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
Registered Boxster abuser

You must be in a bad area AAA has yet to let me down. wood. And I used more than my fair share of uses.

healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote