View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
ProjectM96

2 flats, 1 spare, lucky me.

I was driving late last night at midnight from D.C./Maryland to Philadelphia, PA.
I drove only 37 miles of my 170 mile trip.

Suddenly, a pot hole came out of nowhere on I-95. My driver front tire blew. I pulled over. Put on the spare. Started accelerating from a stop. 1st gear, 2nd gear, pop. Second tire blew from a metal piece on the side of the road.

What did I do? I continued driving with the flat front passenger tire and 1 donut on the driver side front. I got to the nearest exit and bought a few cans of fix-a-flat.

Since the engine and weight was in the back of the car, the front rim always stayed 1 inch off the ground even with the deflated tire.

Turns out Fix-a-Flat only works for about 25-35 miles before the tire gets flat again. I used 4 cans for the trip. By the time I got home, it was flat again.

Whoever gets into this situation where they don't have AAA, internet, a nearby friend, or a # for a tow truck. DON'T drive slow or brake hard. The slower you drive, the flatter the tire gets and the more the steering wheel forcefully turns the car into different directions. It is hard driving with a flat tire when you are driving slow-Just like not having power steering. I tried to stay at 60mph so that the rotational forces keep the tire inflated and reduce the weight on the tire.

I was lucky that I never lost control of the car. Hopefully, this does not happen to any of you guys.