Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #1

Strange whining noise Boxster 986 Manual 2004

Hello everyone,
I'm a newcomer here, so thanks in advance for your suggestions!
I have a 2004 986, manual, at about 82000 km on the odometer. After a recent service, I've started noticing a whining noise from the left side of the car (passenger side) - seems to be either the tires or the engine, hard to tell. The noise seems to appear only on the first drive or after a cold start, and never occurs at higher speeds (gears). Plus, I typically hear the news as I accelerate, turning right. (I drive a right hand drive car).
Today, on my (cold) drive to work, I tried to record the noise I was hearing. I used my phone, from inside the car, so it is a bit muffled - sounds much louder when it happens! I've attached this as a tiny mp3 file . You can hear this sound midway through the recording - a whine that's a bit louder than the sound of the engine revving as I pull away to the right on a T- junction, in first gear. As I was saying, a little bit confusing as to whether the sound comes from the engine or the left front tire. You'll hear the sound fade away as I straighten the wheel, and then the engine noise takes over.
Any opinions on this will be welcome.
Let me warn you - at first it sounds merely like engine whine, but I'm only around 2 to 3000 rpm, not revving much at all.
Thanks in advance!
drraj
Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0gj1wg7r3xu6xl/Strange%20Boxster%20Sound.mp3

drraj is offline   Reply With Quote