Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #1

Key fob not working

Hi there,

I'm sure it's been stated a million times but i'm on a work computer and the internet here is comparable to dial-up!!

My Dad has a 2001 Boxster and unfortunately his key went through the washing machine, it's been dried out and he has replaced the battery but the car doesn't respond to any of the buttons, the red light on the key doesn't come on at all but the key does still start the car though.

Is the fob destroyed or does the key just need coding to the car (i'm sure there's some manner of key in door/unlock/lock procedure to do it? - yeh?)

I guess if it's truly knackered he'll be having to go to Porsche direct or is there an alternative?

Many many thanks in advance!

Hoping to get this sorted as it's almost the weekend and it's begging to be driven!

Cheers,

Jack

best username ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:40 AM   #2

Dealer only item............
Old 05-03-2012, 02:56 AM   #3

****************. Well that's a pain in the arse.

Definitely sure we can't do anything else with it to make it work?
best username ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Water generally will not harm low voltage electronics, its the minerals and corrosion left behind. Remove the circuit board and soak in rubbing alcohol(no battery, of course) for a few minutes and then clean and scrub the board with a toothbrush and alcohol. Let dry for an hour and try again.

Most likely, though, the corrosion or short is in one or both buttons where water was trapped for a while. I would replace them. Only takes a few minutes and about $1 if you're handy with a soldering iron.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Most likely, though, the corrosion or short is in one or both buttons where water was trapped for a while. I would replace them. Only takes a few minutes and about $1 if you're handy with a soldering iron.
There was also a very detailed article in Excellence Magazine some time ago about how to replace the buttons

2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote