Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #21

Agreed. I should have been there when the oil was done. I was building a new recording studio (not a hobby, it's my profession) and just had no time. The shop has a good rep so I figured it would be ok.

I get the feeling there going to say the aos failed and caused the rms to leak. But when I remove the oil cap with the engine running, it comes right off, even the little oil filler pops up. It's going back on Monday so we will see what they say.

FormulaReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #22

see if you have oil in the exhaust pipe... just stick your finger in the tail pipe like a proctologist and see if any oil is on the sides or bottom... that will tell you if the aos failed as you have oil on your bumper.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
+1 on this. I am a natural sceptic and it would be part of the arrangement that if I had the IMS done, that I would like to see the removal. If they don't like me there then I go with somebody else. I now do my own oil changes. I am now way more involved with my own car than I have ever been before!
Recycled, We MUST be twins as I always agree with your posts !!! Bottoms up !!! Do you like Vodka also ? Shakened ?, right DANGER ?
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #24

It's all sorted now. Here is the story:

I took the car back to the shop and the tech took a look at it. The first thing he did was pull the oil cap while the car was running. It came right off but the engine ran fine. He told me that it should run much worse quickly with out the cap on. He pulled the cap off another car that had a good aos and it ran poorly almost immediately. Next he put the car on a rack and we took a look at the leak. The car had leaked so much oil that it was covered but with the car on the rack I could see the oil was leaking from the front of the engine. He cam seals had blown when the aos let go. I had them replace the aos and cam seals. They told me the aos was really old and could have been the orginal one.

I have been driving around for a few days now and man does the car run better. It never ran poorly but it never felt great, the only car I had to compare it to was my 76' 911 and I chalked it up to it being newer and not as much fun to drive. Now it seems to be much more eager to rev and the idol is much smoother and more even. It runs more like my 911 did. Also, it would occasionally burn a little oil on start up, so did my 911 and I did not think anything of it. Now it does not burn any oil on start.

It seems like I had a bad run of luck, but now the car runs much better and I am not freaking out every time I hear a noise when I am driving.

FormulaReed is offline   Reply With Quote