Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang View Post
About the "cheap" Ferrari maintenance:
A friend of mine has a Maserati Grantourismo, which basically is a Ferrari and which gets serviced at a Ferrari/Maserati dealership down the road from me.
He can tell you a story or two about "cheap" maintenance (I usually give him a ride for pickup and dropoff and then get the story fresh from the horse's mouth). To add insult to injury, you can get many of the exact same parts with either a Ferrari or Maserati badge, but the "Ferrari" part carries an extra premium (I guess we're used to it as many P-parts also exist from Audi)
But last not least: Don't forget that Ferraris are not meant to be driven daily, P-cars are.

BTW: Mr. Topless: Will I see you in Buttonwillow end of May?
I experienced the same thing when I owned an Alfa. If you bought Agip oil at the Alfa parts window it was $$ . If you bought the same oil at the adjacent Ferrari window, it was $$$. In any event, for the type of driving that I would do with a 360, the costs factors could be greatly mitigated .

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 04-28-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #22

I bet the 981 S model would spank the crap out of a 360 modena . I did see a black 360 today and it did looked real bad ass .
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean View Post
I bet the 981 S model would spank the crap out of a 360 modena . I did see a black 360 today and it did looked real bad ass .
Maybe if it had another 100hp .
Old 04-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #24

Garage
Enough with the 360 comments already ! I regret ever having brought it up !!! Now I'm going to get an Enzo just to shut everyone up ! Yeah, that's right an Enzo !
Old 04-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #25

Garage
Do they make them in FAST yellow?
Old 04-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #26

How can I rename the subject line of this thread to "are we all secret Ferrari lovers?"
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Enough with the 360 comments already ! I regret ever having brought it up !!! Now I'm going to get an Enzo just to shut everyone up ! Yeah, that's right an Enzo !
Maintenance costs to own an Enzo?

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:47 AM   #28

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Maintenance costs to own an Enzo?
Approximately 700 lire per mile .
Old 04-29-2012, 03:05 AM   #29
Ex Esso kid

I knew a prominent Cardiologist who had a Ferrari, one day when I went to call he had a brand new 911 where his red super-car once sat. He loved the F car but the repairs were fierce, mind you this is a man conservatively making 600K annual in 1993. It's a shorter life than it feels like sometimes, you want a F car on the bucket list go for it Jonny. To me, the spyder is not only fast enough, it requires concentration to keep out of triple digits. I got pulled over as a younger man doing 92, not fun, officers tend to take that as a personal affront. In a Ferrari 92 probably arrives so soon it's ridiculous, you better be a real agent because you are going to need that brass pass. After all you may need to stay away from hookers till things cool off but speeding hasn't been wrecked for the boys yet.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 04-29-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:03 AM   #30
2005, Tiptronic

No doubt the 308 looks a little dated these days, but I have to agree with Pothole on this one. The 360 isn't a striking design, it's almost nondescript. Personally, it's much too Corvette-looking.

Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:03 AM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
I knew a prominent Cardiologist who had a Ferrari, one day when I went to call he had a brand new 911 where his red super-car once sat. He loved the F car but the repairs were fierce, mind you this is a man conservatively making 600K annual in 1993. It's a shorter life than it feels like sometimes, you want a F car on the bucket list go for it Jonny. To me, the spyder is not only fast enough, it requires concentration to keep out of triple digits. I got pulled over as a younger man doing 92, not fun, officers tend to take that as a personal affront. In a Ferrari 92 probably arrives so soon it's ridiculous, you better be a real agent because you are going to need that brass pass. After all you may need to stay away from hookers till things cool off but speeding hasn't been wrecked for the boys yet.
You mean a "rhodium pass" .
Old 04-29-2012, 06:00 AM   #32
Ex Esso kid

Whatever, Jonn O, if you were truly doing that job you wouldn't be posting pics of your ride, have the posting frequency you do or be keeping such a high presence on the net.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:10 AM   #33

Garage
Quote:
Whatever, Jonn O, if you were truly doing that job you wouldn't be posting pics of your ride, have the posting frequency you do or be keeping such a high presence on the net.
Instead of being in covert operations, I'm in overt these days . Speaking of Jonn O, do you remember Harry O ?
Old 04-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Cars like the 308 almost put Ferrari out of business . LoL ! You've been watching too much Magmun P.I. .
Sure, but what's that got to do with beauty? Anyway, Magnum's was the GTS, big no-no!

Modern Ferrari's are designed to please sports stars and the super wealthy from oil--rich and BRIC nations. They're intolerably tacky.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #35
Ex Esso kid

That assessment seems a little stern pothole, after all there are many people who judge Porsche drivers too, fact is no matter what we drive or don't drive someone will always have an opinion about it one way or the other.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #36

It's just my honestly held view regards the design of modern Ferraris and also the markets I think they're aimed at.

As you say, driving a Porsche carries its own baggage, but I'm more than happy to live with that. And to be perfectly frank, a lot of modern Porsche are very tacky, too.

I just wish Ferrari even vaguely attempted to make beautiful cars these days. To be fair, the 458 is quite pretty from some angles. But the FF and F12 may as well be upscale Hyundais from a styling perspective. They're beyond ghastly.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #37

Garage
I stopped by the local auto outlet this afternoon. Unfortunately, they didn't have any Enzo's. But, I did find this chestnut. And after a thorough PPI, I bought it. According to the sale man, Enzo means bobcat in the english !
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #38
Ex Esso kid

Here's Johnny

http://www.buyautoshere.info/130685682656.html

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 04-29-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #39

Garage
Quote:
No more garage space with the new Bobcat coming . But, if I did, this 360 would be more like it .

Ferrari : 360 Modena Ferrari : 360 Modena | eBay
Old 04-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #40

Quote:
I agree with what they said about the Boxster interest being huge do to the new 911 price point.
Sound cheesy. Boxster and Carrera are different categories. One is a roadster'ish two seater revised to cater to 997 Cab types, and the other is essentially a GT revised to cater to rich Chinese and Russians considering a high end, plush, bloated but powerful. Merc, BMW or Jaguar. If you can't afford the latter you should just buy a CPO 997 Cab -- you get your warranty and the big, auto-pilot driving experience.

But I suspect that Porsche revised the Boxster knowing that it needed to be more appealing to a yuppy'ish buyer that couldn't swing what they knew would a monster price tag Carrera. There is something inherently cheesy and poseurish about this.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote