Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #61
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Well, it took a few days longer then what I had planned but I am did not want to rush through anything at the end. Got the wheels back from powder coating and to say I am happy is a major understatement.

The other remaining item was the installation of the Gahh top. I have got to say that a combination of Wayne's how to coupled with Mike instructions made for an easy installation of the top. I am very impressed with the quality of what Gahh offers, the holes where perfectly placed, and when centered and stretched...the top went in with perfect placement. I would have to say that the trickiest part of the whole installation was the removal of the front gasket when you work around to the side portions.

Well, the last portion of the whole process was the torquing of the spindle/axle nuts. 340ft lbs is quite the bit of force and it meant I needed to go buy a new tool...twist my arm, but having a torque wrench that will now get me to 3/4" drive with a 500lbs max setting was a cool find and the last item I needed for this build.

Well on with the test drive! OMG! Talk about a difference with the suspension. Gadget is sitting quite a bit higher then when I started this whole process...almost 4 inches higher. But considering all of the struts were shot and the springs had been carrying the load the current height is probably now close to "as new" condition as she has been in a long time.

It will be interesting to see how the suspension settles out over the next week or so. As it sits now, I cannot believe how stiff the ride is, it is so nice to take a bump and not feel like a low rider bouncing all over. Having torqued the suspension under load, there is not a single squeak, pop or noise at all.

This whole project was enjoyable, stressful on some aspects, but still enjoyable and for anyone who is really considering do any of the things I have done here...you can do it just take your time, read the forums, buy the Bentley manual and Wayne's 101 project book and download the UK manual (for free) and you will have a great set of data to work with. Most of all, look at the threads that are posted here as there are some very knowledgeable people who have shared some very useful information. Enough of the blah blah blah, here are some pictures...hope you enjoyed reading this, and if you have any questions please PM me and I will do my best to answer questions.

Here is how Gadget started:

Here is how Gadget finished:

Old 08-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #62
Track rat

Garage
Nice to have her all done Eric. The top looks great and the car looks like she is on stilts right now, but she will settle in. Good job!
Old 08-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #63

Garage
Outstanding work! Thanks for the great thread! Now go enjoy
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:09 PM   #64
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Been a few years, but she is still running stronger than ever. Well now waiting for the snow to melt. Have a couple of ideas for this next year...will post as the updates begin.