Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 05:34 AM   #1

Sub in frontt trunk

Cant seem to find a good place for a powerful sub in the boxster. Was thinking of putting it in th efront trunk. It would be a single 12in Kicker CVR with a 1000w amp. It would be in a large ported box. Would i still hear it good in the car? I dont want to put a small 10in in the passenger footwell. Could i mount it behind the seats (mounted in the back wall)?

js/sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to pecora
Behind seats is where it is in factory installed on newer modles
pecora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:48 AM   #3

I was thinking of bolting up a 12in(depth) x 24in(width) x 28in (length) box behind the seat to the back wall and just moving my seat forward. It would only stick out 12in. I might put two of those in (one behind each seat). Or just one 12in with large box in front trunk. What do u guys think? I am 5'11 but like to be a little closer to the steering wheel than most people. So i dont think 12in forward would even be that noticable. What do u guys think?
js/sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #4

Passenger foot area is where I've seen it done before. Its posted on this site try a search.
Earn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Dont put it in the trunk or frunk. They are well sealed and a sub would ruin that, not to mention that little sound would actually make it to the passenger compartment. I seriously doubt that having even one 12 anywhere in the car is feasible...definitely not behind the seats. Kicker makes a comp 8" that sounds much bigger. I have one in my 986 driven by 250 watts and it is more than enough. It also fits in the back of the footwell in its stock box.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
2001 RUF 3800S

put two 6's in the rear compartment
Old 04-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by violametallic-S- View Post
put two 6's in the rear compartment
Honestly, a single 6.5" in the rear compartment will give you more bass than a 12" in one of the trunks. Remember the motor is behind you in the boxster, and then the trunk, and you can hardly hear the motor, imagine how quiet the trunk is. And the frunk is sealed almost as well....

Smaller is better. Unless you're trying to show off for your local 14 year old kids, giant subs are not the way to go. Stock boxsters already have decent bass and an 8" sub in the cabin is more than enough in these cars.
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #8

I have a flat 10'' behind the passenger seat. Way more then enough bass. I turn it all the way down.
Phoenix gold sub with 5 channel amp that powers all the speakers and the sub.
SF-Rockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #9
Homeboy981

Garage
I Put 6" in place of Stock….

I mounted a pair of 6" subs using a lot of time and do overs (on the plexiglass insert-not my doors). Your speaker of choice just has to be under 3" total mounting depth if you use ˝" plexiglass insert. 6" is about the most that can fit in the doors and it is plenty LOUD in that small cabin. Spatullization is the problem (the sound is garbled at concert level because of WHERE the speakers are mounted-size alone does not matter here).

Also, upgraded were the dash speakers. Make sure you wire that tweeter back into the circuit-careful to match polarity. What made the most difference SOUND-WISE was placing a couple two-way 160 watt JVCs on top of the storage compartment facing upward, not toward the back of your head - like the BOSE system. Besides, I get enough bass from the doors and the JVCs are plenty loud. I got out my Dremmel and cut it out. It was scary at first, when I realized I was cutting up my poor car, but once you focus on the task - it was knocked out in 20 minutes!

All of this was to feed a JVC KW3HDT (2 DIN NAV unit that replaced cup holders and the stock stereo) and a 1200 watt 4 channel Amplifier in the frunk replaced the stock unit. So if you need a factory stereo, amp, double cup holder….let me know!

I needed NAVIGATION and this setup really delivers - while saving a buck! I have since added a backup camera that runs full time so I can see you back there! Stay off my bumper or I devised tacks that comes out the back! Just kidding, hmmm.
Homeboy981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #10

Garage
Here's what I did: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/28813-fresh-take-subwoofer-locations.html

This 6" sub has a gigantic magnet and kicks plenty hard for my tastes. Sure, it doesn't shake the pavement, but it does shake my seat, and the rear view mirror too if you crank it. Powered by an Alpine PDX5 in place of the original amp in the frunk.

That, plus new door and dash speakers and I'm very happy with the sound system.

Tieniber is offline   Reply With Quote