View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #9
Homeboy981
Homeboy981

Garage
I Put 6" in place of Stock….

I mounted a pair of 6" subs using a lot of time and do overs (on the plexiglass insert-not my doors). Your speaker of choice just has to be under 3" total mounting depth if you use ˝" plexiglass insert. 6" is about the most that can fit in the doors and it is plenty LOUD in that small cabin. Spatullization is the problem (the sound is garbled at concert level because of WHERE the speakers are mounted-size alone does not matter here).

Also, upgraded were the dash speakers. Make sure you wire that tweeter back into the circuit-careful to match polarity. What made the most difference SOUND-WISE was placing a couple two-way 160 watt JVCs on top of the storage compartment facing upward, not toward the back of your head - like the BOSE system. Besides, I get enough bass from the doors and the JVCs are plenty loud. I got out my Dremmel and cut it out. It was scary at first, when I realized I was cutting up my poor car, but once you focus on the task - it was knocked out in 20 minutes!

All of this was to feed a JVC KW3HDT (2 DIN NAV unit that replaced cup holders and the stock stereo) and a 1200 watt 4 channel Amplifier in the frunk replaced the stock unit. So if you need a factory stereo, amp, double cup holder….let me know!

I needed NAVIGATION and this setup really delivers - while saving a buck! I have since added a backup camera that runs full time so I can see you back there! Stay off my bumper or I devised tacks that comes out the back! Just kidding, hmmm.
Homeboy981 is offline   Reply With Quote