Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 06:32 AM   #1

987 air box design flaw?

I managed to find a Cayman S air box. It not in the cleanest condition but looked okay. After getting it home I noticed that the filter hatch did not seal very well; further inspection with a flash light and a bit of a pull with my finger yield a definite air gap and a visible filter element! Not good for hot air ingestion!

It is just this one that has lost its sealing ability or are they all like that??

Check yours and let me know!

Old 04-10-2012, 06:55 AM   #2

Garage
I'm sure a couple of strips of duct tape will solve any air leak problem.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #3

Yes I am sure that would work but you would end up with a gluey mess at every filter change. One shouldn't have to tape a $500 air box
Old 04-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Yes I am sure that would work but you would end up with a gluey mess at every filter change. One shouldn't have to tape a $500 air box
One shouldn't have to prematurely replace the bearing on a permanently self-lubricated shaft of a $15,000+ engine, either.

Like most things plastic on this car, even more so the plastic that gets to heat soak in the rather toasty engine bay, I wouldn't be surprised to find some deformation on something like a hinged plastic door. There's also the question of any abuse or forceful opening/closing during its previous life at the hands of the previous owner or any technicians. Plenty of variables since it's a used part. Now if it were a new $500 item with the same issues I'd be more likely to raise an eyebrow.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
One shouldn't have to prematurely replace the bearing on a permanently self-lubricated shaft of a $15,000+ engine, either.

Like most things plastic on this car, even more so the plastic that gets to heat soak in the rather toasty engine bay, I wouldn't be surprised to find some deformation on something like a hinged plastic door. There's also the question of any abuse or forceful opening/closing during its previous life at the hands of the previous owner or any technicians. Plenty of variables since it's a used part. Now if it were a new $500 item with the same issues I'd be more likely to raise an eyebrow.
Yes exactly. I will be more specific. Please check your newish or new filter access hatch for this issue. This will determine whether there is a problem and or I have to try a new hatch.

Actually I have had one Cayman guy tell me he sees a similar problem but did not mention the year of his car...Another noted a similar issue on a 2010

Last edited by jaykay; 04-10-2012 at 12:57 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #6

me too

mine is a little warped also, I plan to put some insulated tape around the inside at some point...only on the bottom edge.

onaFLYer is offline   Reply With Quote