Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #1

Fit Boxster alloys and tyres...in a Boxster

Is it possible to fit a set of 986 Boxster 17-inch alloys in a Boxster? Presume one of the rears will go in the frunk, maybe if you take the space saver out first. Will a front go in the rear? Then maybe a front a rear strapped together and bagged up on the passenger seat?

Anyone tried?

I suppose an alternative would be to travel to the collection with the space saver fitted on the rear - then you could stick one of the rears on the back...

Old 04-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #2

I tried fitting the 18" rear wheel (with 265/35 tire) on the frunk with the spare removed but... IT DOES NOT FIT despite what I read online!!!

17" front (thinner 225/45 tire) is very likely to fit but I'm not entirely positive.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Never seen it done yet. Most in SoCal either use a rack mount on top or pull a small tire trailer. I usually carry a full size wheel & tire in the frunk when going to the track just in case. It fits fine with the spare removed. No way to get a full size tire in the rear trunk.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
I tried fitting the 18" rear wheel (with 265/35 tire) on the frunk with the spare removed but... IT DOES NOT FIT despite what I read online!!!

17" front (thinner 225/45 tire) is very likely to fit but I'm not entirely positive.
ekam,
Sure it will fit in a 986 at least. Just put it in towards the front and lay it towards the back.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #5

Will the 205/55 go in the rear?
Old 04-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
Will the 205/55 go in the rear?
No way. I don't think the compact spare will fit either.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
ekam,
Sure it will fit in a 986 at least. Just put it in towards the front and lay it towards the back.
Nope, spent good 10-15 mins trying every possible angle & position and it did not fit...

Perhaps it was the Das Schild liner getting in the way but it wasn't even close...
Old 04-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
Nope, spent good 10-15 mins trying every possible angle & position and it did not fit...

Perhaps it was the Das Schild liner getting in the way but it wasn't even close...
Hmmmm,
About a dozen Box drivers in SoCal carry a full size rear tire in front. Most are 255/40/17 but some are 265/35/18. Maybe like most things in Canada your frunk is just a wee bit smaller
Old 04-13-2012, 05:27 AM   #9

Garage
I managed to fit a 19" with 305/65 in the frunk. Plus one on the passenger seat. Had to do two journeys like this. Defo wont fit in the rear boot.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:37 AM   #10

Yes. I think you can kid of stick a front wheel/tyre in the rear boot and then cable tie it. It won't close.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2012, 05:41 AM   #11

My 18 fit it the frunk, but the tire was flat!
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta View Post
My 18 fit it the frunk, but the tire was flat!
You'd think they would design it just for that.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #13

I tried to fit the front 8" width tire by itself in the front trunk. No wheel. No spare. And it did not fit. I tried to bend the tire and force it closed, but it did not work.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
recycledsixtie

Garage
What I did last fall when I bought 4 17inch snow tires and drove 2 hours each way for pick up. I cant remember if I took a chance and took no spare on the way there. Anyway what I did at the place of the purchaser was this. When u get to your destin. you dont need the spare anyway!LOL
1. Remove mini spare from front trunk and insert one rim/tire where mini was. The front trunk lid will close.
2. Two rims/tires will go in the pax. seat- I believe they were standing upright. Your vision will be obstructed thru the pax. window. Tie the two tires together to prevent them rolling onto the gear shift.
3. One tire/rim will fit in rear trunk but trunk will not close. You can tie down the rear trunk lid with rope or straps.
4. Travel alone! I cannot remember what I did with the spare though but I did not leave it behind.
5. It is doable because I did it last fall. Enjoy. Stop maybe every 30-45 mins to takes deep breaths and have a coffee. Cheers.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #15
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
To the original poster: I don't know about fitting an entire set, but you should be able to at least get 3 in the way you described (frunk and passenger seat). The trunk is really pretty unable to fit many things conveniently. I believe the car was designed around you being able to put any one (flat) front or rear tire in the frunk after putting your spare on the car to get you home. I imagine a front can fit without the need to remove the spare, but a rear will only fit in the frunk by itself (ask Jäger). I doubt a change was made in its lifespan, but since a 17 barely fits in there I imagine an 18, which the car was never designed around to begin with, might not fit in there unless the wheel + tire combination is the same as that of a 17, and I'm not sure how likely that is.

recycledsixtie just made me think of something though. You may want to disable the spoiler (pull the fuse) if you're tying down the trunk lid in such a way that your tie downs are laying over the spoiler. And if you didn't already know, our trunk lids, front and rear, are awfully delicate and prone to dents and warping, so don't put too much force on them.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top

Last edited by Overdrive; 04-13-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #16
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
What I did last fall when I bought 4 17inch snow tires and drove 2 hours each way for pick up. I cant remember if I took a chance and took no spare on the way there. Anyway what I did at the place of the purchaser was this. When u get to your destin. you dont need the spare anyway!LOL
1. Remove mini spare from front trunk and insert one rim/tire where mini was. The front trunk lid will close.
2. Two rims/tires will go in the pax. seat- I believe they were standing upright. Your vision will be obstructed thru the pax. window. Tie the two tires together to prevent them rolling onto the gear shift.
3. One tire/rim will fit in rear trunk but trunk will not close. You can tie down the rear trunk lid with rope or straps.
4. Travel alone! I cannot remember what I did with the spare though but I did not leave it behind.
5. It is doable because I did it last fall. Enjoy. Stop maybe every 30-45 mins to takes deep breaths and have a coffee. Cheers.
You might have to let some air out of the tire in the front trunk . My tires/rims were 17inch.

recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote