Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 04:45 AM   #1

Installing Pro 1 Exhaust System help?

Hello everyone, I just bought the Top Speed Pro-1 Exhaust System and secondary bypass pipes for my 2000 Boxster.

Using regular jacks and jack stands, will I be able to do this job with normal basic tools from a $35 tool box? Or will I need a pneumatic air gun to open the bolts?

Should I expect the bolts to be stuck? They look very rusted. I counted 18 bolts to open through visual inspection. There might be two I missed.

Any directions on how to install? Do I need to disconnect the battery when handling O2 sensors? Do I need to remove any suspension pieces to remove the test pipes? I also read somewhere once before that the rear bumper needs to be removed in some cases to do the installation.

ProjectM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:47 AM   #2

Here is my car. Took this picture a while ago. I have no lift I can use now. Only jacks.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:58 AM   #3
Ex Esso kid

Some tips, the clamps that are last next to the main part of the muffler require not only nut removal but need to have the tabs squeezed together to open them properly for removal. Break free or equivalent is going to be your friend, use liberally on all the nuts and bolts. I did mine with end wrenches and ratchet nothing special needed unless you break a bolt and have to drill one out. In that case some hardened titanium twist drills will be your BFF. If the system includes headers be very careful, snapping off the header bolts is far too easy, the dissimilar nature of the block metal and fastener creates some sort of metallurgic reaction not unlike welding them in. Bumper off is supposed to make the job easier, I didn't need to do it, as for battery disconnect, just do it anyway to be safe. If you need to transfer the O2 sensors an O2 sensor socket might be helpful, I never had any luck on my sensors with an end wrench. Removal of the aluminum rails and skid plate will make the job easier, some have stated that such removal requires a new alignment, I did not find that to be true in my case.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 04-02-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Break free or equivalent is going to be your friend, use liberally on all the nuts and bolts. I did mine with end wrenches and ratchet nothing special needed unless you break a bolt and have to drill one out.
Sorry for asking this, but what do you mean by "Break free or equivalent". Is that a certain kind of tool?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #5
Ex Esso kid

Break Free BF-CLP5 CLP 1 Pint with Trigger Sprayer

take your time and you will do fine, good luck
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:26 AM   #6
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
If you don't have Wayne's book I recommend getting it. Here are some articles from it that may be useful, if not at least for some interesting reading:

Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Muffler Replacement - 986 / 987

Pelican Technical Article: Installing a Performance Boxster Exhaust System - 986 / 987

It souds like you're not talking about replacing the headers, so if that's the case you've got a lot less to worry about than if you're doing a full system. As Ghostrider mentioned, the header bolts apparently like to snap like twigs and leave you SOL.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #7

Thanks guys. Yes I have Wayne's book. I will take a look at that and get some Break Free Spray.

I don't have money for headers, but I do plan to do them in maybe 2-3 years when I get the money along with the IPD Upgrade and ECU remap. Planning on NHP Headers with Sport Cats.

Probably won't install it for another 2-3 weeks when the Exhaust is shipped. But I will post up pictures and a DIY for others to install since this is the cheapest and most affordable exhaust system for the Boxster.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #8

Curious

I am also looking around at a new muffler. Is there anything that caused you to pick this one?
pwaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwaugh View Post
I am also looking around at a new muffler. Is there anything that caused you to pick this one?
Yes, the price. Under $300. And it sounds good too. Search Top Speed Exhaust Porsche Boxster in youtube.