Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #1

amberectomy rehersal

Yeah still havent got around to this.....but just got some old lights to practise on

Can one reherse this procedure with a regular set of lights? The lense in there is clear; but is it the same shape/config as a litronic?

It is hard to see what needs to be burnt out of there as everything is clear!

Old 03-31-2012, 06:26 PM   #2

in the back of the turn signal, there should be a thin orange film. that's what needs to be removed.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #3

Yes I understand....this is just a rehearsal with non litronics

Can it be done ? Are the lenses the same apart from colour? It is hard to see what is what in there as everything is clear
Old 04-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #4

Garage
I'm a bit confused by your question - there should be an amber lens in both litronics and non-litronic headlights, assuming they are "clear" headlights from the later years. Are you trying to practice on one of the older, amber, non-litronics? I don't think those have a lens that you can use to practice.

I was a little scared when I did the amberectomy, but I didn't have too much trouble. I just sliced up the lens with my soldering iron and pull out pieces with a pair of needle nose pliers. Just take your time!
Tieniber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #5

Yes I have a non litronic pair with amber on the outside. I got them as scrap.

The unit has the same config but the lense inside, just inside the hole is clear......just wondering if the all the right pieces are there for practice....it's hard to see as they are not amber

Yes this is just t practice the real thing and yeah I am hesitant to start melting a 1k headlight unit!

Any detailed process pictures would be helpful. I have some but I still can see how one wouldl be able to get the edges out???
Old 04-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #6

Garage
Here are the links I found on this forum with instructions and pictures when I did the amberectomy a whils back. They helped me overcome my fear of working on the brand new Litronics I had just bought, and everything went smoothly (just like Tieniber said). Definitely worth the result!

Clear Lights
Instruction for Amber Lens removal

MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote