Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #1

It's spring.... The boxster project will soon be done

First off- I painted the car. It is speed yellow and I simply repainted OEM speed yellow.

Here is the news.... After hearing ridiculous quotes.... As much as $10,000. I decided to do it myself. I have done some painting before, but not to this degree or a job that would need to be perfect. When getting quotes, a nice guy offered to let me spray the boxster in his shops spray booth.

I didn't go cheap.... Big bucks on paint materials. About $2000 with sand paper and incidentals. PPG Deltron paints. I learned a TON about auto body, paint materials, paint mixing, prep work, painting, buffing, etc. it has been a good project.

I am almost done, but I have been apparently ultra picky. I got a couple little flicks of primer in the yellow and I thought maybe it could be sanded out, but I couldn't get it out. I brought it to a body shop and the guy said I would probably be the only one to notice. He said the panel looked beautiful and asked how I got the paint o lay like that. He said I could work there. A nice compliment. The car has zero orange peel. I sanded the clear coat completely before buffing.

All in all..... The point of this post is to say a perfect paint job, for those that do not know, takes forever. Now, I know why quotes were $10,000

Also, another poster used 3m dynoc on some door handles. It is basically a carbon fiber sticker. I used it to wrap the metal retractable wing mount. It looks nothing short of bad ass. An idea I am passing to the rest of you.

Last edited by The dude; 03-30-2012 at 09:19 PM.
The dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #2

Great work.... I've always wanted to give my boxster a be lease on life.

So the next obvious question..... Pictures please!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Daryl80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:30 AM   #3
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Wow man, nice work. I'm a picky guy too but have only got the buffing/detailing side down. Would love to learn to paint. Look forward to the pics.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:59 AM   #4

Garage
Wow congratulations!! Pic's of the CF spoiler wrap please.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:46 AM   #5

I too would like to see the CF wing idea. Cant wait to see the paint job as well. CONGRATS!!
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #6

When I had a Miata I painted these little aero bits that go right below the headlights. They sold them as bare composite and you had to sand, prime and paint. The paint came from Tower Paint in aeorosol can matched by VIN #. I tackled the job in my cellar. Wow. a little tiny part took me hours as the skill level did not match my perfectionist eye. I kept redoing it over and over until I got the result that I wanted and still wasn't happy even though everyone thought it looked factory. I probably spent six hours on something a pro could have done in 15 minutes.
Either little bits would settle onto the paint as it was drying or the finish wouldn't match the other piece. I eventually ran out of paint LOL...had to order another can. This was a black car I'm thinking yellow might be easier to hide mistakes but still a giant task if you aren't skilled and have high expectations
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #7

Garage
nice, would love to see pictures
IslandMyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #8

Well...... the good news is, after talking to lots of guys in the business- pro's don't take 15 minutes either! HAHA

All in all, there is the suggested, best way to paint. Then, there is the quicker way and everything in-between. Brand new cars from the factory have orange peel and flaws and rarely do bumpers or other panels match the rest of the car. There is no perfect paint job, for the most part. Just what you want to live with. The worst part is, the more work you do to make it better, you run the risk of screwing the piece up and starting over. Twice I sanded through te clear coat on the corner of a panel in an attempt to have zero orange peel in the paint. That greedy part of me meant I had to repaint both panels. You can't blend clear, you basically have to clear the entire panel again, then wetsand and buff it all over.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #9

I will post pictures of the finished car when it is done. Vacation next wekeend, so maybe two weeks from now.

The carbon wing wrap is really bad ass. When I saw the door handles another guy did, I instantly thought of the wing area. It worked perfectly.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:31 AM   #10

Great

I am looking forward each day to see your photos