Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #1

Battery Change, a Diet Opportunity

I still have the original battery in my 06 Boxster S, and I figure I'm pretty solidly in borrowed time by now, so I'll be changing it out soon.

When I checked the battery, I noticed that the tray under it was made of steel, as was the clamp that holds it in position. Is there any reason, chemical, electrical or otherwise, that the tray/clamp can't be made of a lighter material; fiberglass or aluminum? I know the weight difference won't be terribly significant, so this is as much for the entertainment value as any possible performance gain.

If you guys can't think of any, I'll start the project this weekend and I'll be sure to post pictures when I'm done.

RobbieKnobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
If you really want to put her on a diet, lose that 50lb lead acid battery and go 5lb Lithium:
ShoraiUsa - Batteries
Old 03-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #3

For the battery itself, I was planning to stick with a conventional battery but go down a size or two. I seldom, if ever, start the car in 'difficult' conditions (winter cold) so the diminished capacity shouldn't come into play.

Again, I'm not building a race car, I'm just laying out a weekend project. In a few years when the Lithium batteries are more mainstream, I may venture off in that direction.
RobbieKnobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
It was just a thought. My 5lb Lithium has 550CCA which is reasonably close to stock and 36Ahrs which is about 1/2 the stock battery reserve capacity. It cost around $225 which was $100 more than a new 50lb Bosch. A good tradeoff for me since I never even use the radio.

You can fabricate an aluminum battery strap that will look good but not offer any noticeable weight savings. Just make sure it is solidly mounted and never moves around.

Last edited by Topless; 03-28-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:34 AM   #5

I would be wary of making a battery clamp/tray out of aluminum. Before you go to all the trouble of fabricating anything, drop some battery acid on a piece of aluminum and see what happens. Be sure to wear safety glasses, do it outside, and don't stand too close.
Fiberglass will be OK corrosion wise, but might have to be pretty thick to take the abuse.
Check out the Die Hard for the Boxster. It is a lot smaller then the stock battery and will save on weight. It comes with a plastic clamp that adapts the smaller size battery case to the stock tray. I've had one for 2 years with no problems.

3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote