Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #21

Hmm, looks like it sits on top of the clam like the speedster hump thingy.

I'm afraid the raised lip that creates looks too shonky.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:49 PM   #22

Beautiful shot of the NAS 110, Landrovered. Looks like you'll be right at home if you came to visit and stayed with us. Same cars different colors. But now that the boxster's done I guess the next logical project would be to adopt a defender 90 hardtop with a boxter! That would be like the ultimate go anywhere, luxury Pope mobile with assassin escape handling capabilities.
rdb525i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
Here is a an alternative to the Zeintop that is available from France. I had coresponded with him and he was a very nice person. I like his tops as well as the Zeintop.

D-Moris-Equipments

The quality of the interior finish of the DMorris top is head and shoulders above that of the Zeintop.

Also you dont have to remove any body panels !
Looks like it does need to remove the lid over the softtop
but it does look nice, especially the inside.
I wonder how much it is...(cant read french)
cbbepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
I really think the more you tried to make it look like a Cayman, the worse it would look.
I sometimes think the Zeintop would have been better if they hadn't tried so hard to mimic the Cayman's side window line. Maybe it would look better without the small quarter light / extra window - so the side window glass and sloping roof line was a bit like the original Audi TT concept:

The thing is you can't just do the top to pull off the Cayman look. You have to do the wheels and probably the skirting too. But to the casual bystander I doubt they could tell them apart. I definitely plan to do this once the cost comes down. At this point I have done every possible exterior upgrade.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-27-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
Here is a an alternative to the Zeintop that is available from France. I had coresponded with him and he was a very nice person. I like his tops as well as the Zeintop.

D-Moris-Equipments

The quality of the interior finish of the DMorris top is head and shoulders above that of the Zeintop.

Also you dont have to remove any body panels !
I like it -- Looks like a nicer version of this one:

http://www.boxster-hardtop.co.uk/
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
The thing is you can't just do the top to pull off the Cayman look. You have to do the wheels and probably the skirting too. But to the casual bystander I doubt they could tell them apart. I definitely plan to do this once the cost comes down. At this point I have done every possible exterior upgrade.

The rear and rear 3/4 views for the Zeintop have always been pretty good.

Side and front 3/4, not so much. Caymans are getting cheaper. I'd just save up and buy the real thing.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #27

Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdb525i View Post
Found an unused zeintop stored in a garage in Philly thru this forum. Shipped it to the Philippines and finally had it installed. Thanks 986forum.
Looks really nice, congrats on getting it! I wonder if it's a rattley noisy addition to your car or is it relatively quiet when driving?

Cheers.

J T
Old 03-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #28
midlifechrisis

I have driven 986's with the factory hard top and there was no rattle, no road noise like i do hear on the highway if a car is just behind in the next lane.
So i am considering one of the acoustic tops with glass, but if i find a factory h.t. at the right price i would buy it.
Drphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #29

My z-top was loud (like waterfall loud at high speeds), there was a lot of fine tuning involved to try to secure any air leaks.
Then I was sent a rubber seal to put between the top front and the top front part of my front windows and now it's a lot better. However its not as whisper quiet as like riding inside a sedan....but then again sedans don't have their engines reving behind your seats either
cbbepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
The rear and rear 3/4 views for the Zeintop have always been pretty good.

Side and front 3/4, not so much. Caymans are getting cheaper. I'd just save up and buy the real thing.
again, I think the "peripherals" (wheels, aero) make a big difference. But I agree the window could have been done better, but for the right price it can be a very worthwhile accessory.

I also have issues with buying a Cayman with a non-upgradeable IMS.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Tinsby View Post
Looks really nice, congrats on getting it! I wonder if it's a rattley noisy addition to your car or is it relatively quiet when driving?

Cheers.

J T
The top also comes complete with rubber seals ( windshield part, windows, and trunk lid) so its definitely more quiet that a soft top but since the boxster has body flex you'll hear a few squeaks as you go over speed bumps or up and down a steep driveway incline at an angle. No big deal really. But cbbepop is right, its not sedan quiet mostly because the engine is right behind you. Definitely a big improvement over the soft top specially when someone honks a horn. Never had an original hard top so I couldn't compare. The glass in the rear and sides look factory enough complete with de-fogger lines and an original Hella LED 3rd brake light. Here's a picture from the seller before I purchased it.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:12 AM   #32

My Zeintop

de-snorkeled, clear lights, sports exhaust, zeintec hard top, zein wing, B&M short shifter, DesignTek lowering springs, DesignTek carbon fibre strut brace front and rear, 18'' carerra 5 spokes, semi slick tyres, entire soft top delete, engine cover delete,red console,L&N deep sump, volo performance chip, raptor shift light, de-cat'ed, OEM GT3 bucket seats.
sickbananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:28 AM   #33

COOL! Wicked list of mods. any chance you can post a picture of "engine cover delete"? Did you cover it with something transparent?
Old 03-29-2012, 03:39 AM   #34

no perspex cover yet, working on something that will look good, it is super loud, but I love it-not every ones cups tea-just bought a accusump kit and need to find a place to mount it-will post a pic of how the compartment looks with out the cover/soft top/insulation
de-snorkeled, clear lights, sports exhaust, zeintec hard top, zein wing, B&M short shifter, DesignTek lowering springs, DesignTek carbon fibre strut brace front and rear, 18'' carerra 5 spokes, semi slick tyres, entire soft top delete, engine cover delete,red console,L&N deep sump, volo performance chip, raptor shift light, de-cat'ed, OEM GT3 bucket seats.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:25 AM   #35

engine bay pictures

trying to find a good place for the accusump...

Old 03-30-2012, 07:44 AM   #36

how much does it cost to fill up in SA today?
Old 03-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #37

That one from France really looks good!

What price are they asking?
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #38

Now I know who got it...

I called a few days after it sold and left a message...seller returned my call and said it was on the way to the Philippines. Nice chap, were else but a Porsche owner would a seller return a call to unknown prospective buyer to tell him that it already had sold. Class act.
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:15 AM   #39

Sickbananas - nice photo. I'm curious how you'll be able to mold come clear perspex to cover that clean engine. Those guys who do glass boxes for car audios should know. Keep us posted

Urban legend - extremotors is coming up with the same top. Nice helpful guy from CA. I got the mounting hardware from him since I got the top without them. He emailed today saying that he has the shipment of glass for the CA made tops on its way and should be with him in 4 to 8 weeks. I can patch you up if you're interested.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #40

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdb525i View Post
Sickbananas - nice photo. I'm curious how you'll be able to mold come clear perspex to cover that clean engine. Those guys who do glass boxes for car audios should know. Keep us posted

Urban legend - extremotors is coming up with the same top. Nice helpful guy from CA. I got the mounting hardware from him since I got the top without them. He emailed today saying that he has the shipment of glass for the CA made tops on its way and should be with him in 4 to 8 weeks. I can patch you up if you're interested.
An American Zeintop-roof like manufacturer? Well I'll be damned; about time! Sign me up for one right out the factory! :dance:

Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote