Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 12:22 AM   #1

Thinking about pulling the trigger on an 02

Hey Guys!
I'm new here and thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2002 with about 80K miles on it. I currently have a 2009 GTI with 60K miles, and could virtually trade in and own only a hundred or so I'm very tempted. The car seems to be in great shape. The first two drivers did less the 8K miles a year, but the last drive did 15K a year for 2 years in Arizona apparently. I'm hoping those are the highway miles. I know the water pump was done recently amount a few other things (Not the clutch unfortunately). I plan on getting a PPI tomorrow.
I just wanted to see what the general response from current 986 owners would be. I am trading in a very practical car for a seemingly less practical car (the insurance however will be lower, weird).
Just let me know if you think I'm being stupid or if this is worth it. I just got out of a very serious relationship and feel like putting my time and money in to something for myself. I.e. the car.
I've done a lot of research and as long as the PPI looks good, I'll probably jump. Are there things you think I'll regret later? I never use the back seats of my GTI so that's out. I do a 300 mile drive about once ever 2 months to go home, and am worried it might be a little uncomfortable in one stint in the 986. Just another concern.
Thanks again guys!

dblaalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:29 AM   #2
WV Boxster

Garage
I use my 00 as a daily and have a second home at the beach. That drive is a 7 hour drive, I prefer driving the Boxster over the BMW 325, Landrover LR3 or the Mini. Since mine is my DD I went with an auto-I also use mine as "MYOFFICE".

I have been told that the upkeep is a little more on this car then the others but so far 3months I have needed a window regulator and put on a new set of rear tires.

I love mine and will drive it until it is parted out.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:37 AM   #3

i do several road trips a year. last year was from maryland to dallas, tx and back, to colorado and back, to canada and back, to north carolina and back... i am a little stiff after driving for 8-10 hrs a day, but i still have way more fun than if i had taken the volvo or the ford. i have other cars for "practical" but this is the only one that's "fun." i don't regret it. 3 years of ownership. if i am going more than 20 miles one-way i end up taking the boxster unless the weather doesn't permit. lots of people drive theirs every day rain or shine, sun or snow...
Old 03-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #4

sure it will be a nice car, I would suggest buying it then doing a clutch/IMS (up to up you) and AOS while you are down there and be worry free for a long long time. Consumer reports listed it as one of the most reliable cars and a best buy (for an 03, but an 02 is not really different mechanically)
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #5

They are fairly reliable. As a former VW performance shop owner, the boxster will actually be less hassle in the long run.
amschnellsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #6

Garage
Did I hear ROAD TRIP!? The Boxster is the only way to go!

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/29853-road-trip-7.html

BTW I live just down the road from SLO.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
Track rat

Garage
Cal Poly SLO? Good school.

Get the car and come down to Fontana in April for the Porsche Festival of Speed.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:05 AM   #8

Yeah SLO - Electrical Engineering.

Thanks for the input. If it can get me to and from my home town comfortably I don't mind at all.

However,I'll be giving up a lot of practical features in the GTI like 6 disc CD, iPod integration, heated seats, projector headlights, rear seats (never use em though), tilt and telescopic steering wheel, among other things. But everything I've read and seen and heard makes it seem worth it. My roommate has a 99 and it's the best sounding car within miles. The car I'm looking at doesn't even had a CD player according to the dealer (still haven't seen it in person, but put a deposit down to hold it) so I'll be using a cassette to iPod adapter.

Is the 80K mile range a bad place to buy a 986? I've read that anything that's made it to 100K will keep on going, and anything lower at like 50K still has some time before everything needs replacing. What is your take on this? It'd be nice to have it all in one place.

I also scheduled a PPI and am hoping for the best.

Thanks again guys!
Old 03-14-2012, 05:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblaalid View Post
Yeah SLO - Electrical Engineering.

Thanks for the input. If it can get me to and from my home town comfortably I don't mind at all.

However,I'll be giving up a lot of practical features in the GTI like 6 disc CD, iPod integration, heated seats, projector headlights, rear seats (never use em though), tilt and telescopic steering wheel, among other things. But everything I've read and seen and heard makes it seem worth it. My roommate has a 99 and it's the best sounding car within miles. The car I'm looking at doesn't even had a CD player according to the dealer (still haven't seen it in person, but put a deposit down to hold it) so I'll be using a cassette to iPod adapter.

Is the 80K mile range a bad place to buy a 986? I've read that anything that's made it to 100K will keep on going, and anything lower at like 50K still has some time before everything needs replacing. What is your take on this? It'd be nice to have it all in one place.

I also scheduled a PPI and am hoping for the best.

Thanks again guys!

Dude, are you seriously worried about the "tilt and telescopic steering wheel"?

BTW - you put down a deposit and never saw the car? Why? There are a lot of Boxsters out there, be patient and buy one that has the features you want.

/
Old 03-14-2012, 05:24 AM   #10
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike View Post
Dude, are you seriously worried about the "tilt and telescopic steering wheel"?

BTW - you put down a deposit and never saw the car? Why? There are a lot of Boxsters out there, be patient and buy one that has the features you want.

/
That is the best advice. Putting a deposit down on a car you have not seen is like getting engaged to a girl you have never met! Yes try out lots of vehicles. Mind you in my case I bought the 2nd Boxster I saw. The first one was a 2000 yellow and the 2nd one was a 2001 black. Look at all the options available. I dont have remote key entry, or leather or psm.What is important to you? The primary thing is condition and a PPI is a must but is no guarantee but better than not doing one.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #11

Well in all honesty the car is apparently in excellent condition (had a family member check it out) andy I wanted to be able to see it, so the deposit is just to hold the car for a week until I can get to it.

And the steering wheel thing is the smallest of my concerns haha. I was just mentioning it because I am very awkwardly proportioned and it usually takes me weeks to get comfortable in any car. So it's just of modest concern.

Thanks for looking out for me though haha. I have been looking at Boxsters for a while and haven't seen any that have caught my eye quite like this one did...
Old 03-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #12

Well in all honesty the car is apparently in excellent condition (had a family member check it out) andy I wanted to be able to see it, so the deposit is just to hold the car for a week until I can get to it.

And the steering wheel thing is the smallest of my concerns haha. I was just mentioning it because I am very awkwardly proportioned and it usually takes me weeks to get comfortable in any car. So it's just of modest concern.

Thanks for looking out for me though haha. I have been looking at Boxsters for a while and haven't seen any that have caught my eye quite like this one did...
Old 03-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #13

Any photos of the Boxster your looking at?
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #14
02 box s

fwiw i was in a similar position last fall. i looked at an 03 and an 02. both had limited options. i chose the 02 b/c it had a new clutch, ims, rms and tranny. i had the aos, waterpump and thermostat done at the same time as the ppi. once the car cleared the ppi i pulled the trigger sight unseen. i've never regretted it. however, i bought the car from someone i talked with for 2 months about every aspect of the car so i felt very comfortable with it's condition. your experience may vary. i feel i got an immaculate, low mile car with all of the potential problems addressed. just be ware that adding options is not easy with boxsters. it's best to take the earlier advice and search for one with all of the options list that you already want rather than trying to add features later. just my .02 worth. good luck
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt brad View Post
... just be ware that adding options is not easy with boxsters. it's best to take the earlier advice and search for one with all of the options list that you already want rather than trying to add features later. just my .02 worth. good luck
Not an issue with the car you're looking at, but if you pass on that and move up to a 2003 - 2004 986 it becomes much harder to deal with the stereo because they adopted the fiber-optic buss. Which means if you don't like the head unit, you need to replace the HU, the amp, etc. because they all communicate over this FO cable and that's proprietary. I wanted iPod input, so I wanted a new HU to get that, so I had to replace the HU, amp, and all the speakers (Bose speakers are 2 ohms so don't work well with other amps. Plus they suck.)
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #16

Nevermind guys. Thanks for all the input but the vehicle came back with a horrid PPI so I just got my deposit back. Now to find another Black 02 Base with under 100K for 15 grand. I'd been looking forever and thought I found it but I guess not haha.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:52 AM   #17
Ex Esso kid

What did the PPI show that really turned you around?
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:33 PM   #18

There were so many things wrong it was hilarious. I'll scan it this week and show you guys!
Old 03-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #19

Additionally I found and bought an 01 and started a thread with pictures if you're interested.

Tags
986 , gti , long drive , volkswagen