Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #1

Zeintop instructions

I bought a used Zeintop that unfortunately didn't come with any paperwork. Does anyone have the installation instructions?

jerry430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #2

Garage
There aren't any, sorry. So if you want me to take that Zientop off your hands I'd be happy to buy it off you.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #3

yes i have instructions pdf format.
since it's used you dont have to take it to a body shop and have the windows glued on.

what's your email?
cbbepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #4

Email is gmeyer2@nycap.rr.com

Thanks so much.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:45 AM   #5

email sent

cbbepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #6

Instructions are not all that helpful on this one. PM me if you run into any issues!

I actually had to drill and tap the driver's side mounting point (a first for me) as the PO had added a hand fabricated 1" metal spacer for his particular car, and I snapped the bolt off trying to remove it.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #7

Got the instructions. Thanks.
Can't seem to get the pin to go into the spin lock on the drivers side. I'll work on it this weekend when I have some help. I'll probably be back looking for help.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:41 AM   #8

Hi Everybody, I'm new in this forum and i m looking after installation instruction for my Zeintop.
If you have it, could you send me on my mail: debled.eric@gmail.com
Thanks
Eric
Eric2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:22 PM   #9

I havent actually seen one except pictures. Are you guys talking the original or the one the guy is making in Canada now? Are their differences? I sur do like what I've seen, but 4k is a little steep. I run my factory HT all the time anyway. It would be nice to get all that weight out.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:34 PM   #10

Garage
Zeintop life

I'm confused about the Zeintop: I haven't seen whether people are doing this to make a permanent conversion of their Boxster to be a faux Cayman, or if they're doing it in lieu of having the OEM hardtop. Is the idea to put in on once a year in the spring, or to put it on once and say goodbye to the convertible option? And if you're doing it more than once, how long does it take? I'm thinking hardtop, but have never been crazy about the EOM hardtop look. TO me it seems like they got the proportions wrong. It's too stubby, and it seems like a missed opportunity to recapture some visibility from the soft top with those thick pillars. TIA.
MikeMcMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:37 AM   #11
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcMo View Post
I'm confused about the Zeintop: I haven't seen whether people are doing this to make a permanent conversion of their Boxster to be a faux Cayman, or if they're doing it in lieu of having the OEM hardtop. Is the idea to put in on once a year in the spring, or to put it on once and say goodbye to the convertible option? And if you're doing it more than once, how long does it take? I'm thinking hardtop, but have never been crazy about the EOM hardtop look. TO me it seems like they got the proportions wrong. It's too stubby, and it seems like a missed opportunity to recapture some visibility from the soft top with those thick pillars. TIA.
My plan:
6 months wannabe Cayman (pah...it's just a Boxster with a hard top)
6 months wannabe Spyder (pah...it's just a Boxster with speedster humps)
Boxster 986 is the mother of them all

Last edited by BRAN; 05-18-2017 at 09:49 AM.
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
My plan:
6 months wannabe Cayman (pah...it's just a Boxster with a hard top)
6 months wannabe Spyder (pah...it's just a Boxster with speed humps)
Boxster 986 is the mother of them all
we share a common plan. i have my roof (motor, transmissions, etc.) removed, as well as the insulation from back there. i've got a roll of black tolex with the top edge tucked into the weatherstrip that the clamshell used to rest on to provide a finished look when the ztop is installed.

i have a friend who is in the process of bonding a set of oem speedster humps to an old clamshell so that when i remove the ztop, i can just fix this 'speedster panel' in place at the two spinlocks, along with the four fasteners required to reattach the rear trunk lid. note that when bonded together it will remove the panel gaps between the humps and the clamshell, and serve to extend the humps a bit further back, all while maintaining an operable trunk. super light - my track day configuration! my friend may take a mold and sell a few if it works out. work is about 75% done on this; will post some pics when complete.

next step is to take a spare old convertible top and modify into a speedster-style roof that would store under the humps when not in use. i am thinking i will trim down the front bar so that i still have a weatherproof connection to the windshield, then modify the middle bar so that it will velcro to the roll hoops, then perhaps some fastex buckles at the clamshell/trunk panel gap that tuck out of the way when not in use. get a canvas shop to finish the job.

and, if the spirit takes me, i can still put the old roof back in (three bolts per side) with the old clamshell (two bolts per side) and run a manual top like many of the folks on this site. i've started the process of rigging up the latch to hold the clamshell in place (thanks to the folks that figured this out) - using the old roof motor mount bracket, a rear trunk latch receiver and a front trunk latch. going to see if i can use the plastic trim that used to cover the roof motor to give it a finished look, and use an old 911 engine cover pull toggle mounted to the rear plastic quarter trim to operate it. we'll see - that is several projects in the future.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:56 AM   #13
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
we share a common plan. i have my roof (motor, transmissions, etc.) removed, as well as the insulation from back there. i've got a roll of black tolex with the top edge tucked into the weatherstrip that the clamshell used to rest on to provide a finished look when the ztop is installed.

i have a friend who is in the process of bonding a set of oem speedster humps to an old clamshell so that when i remove the ztop, i can just fix this 'speedster panel' in place at the two spinlocks, along with the four fasteners required to reattach the rear trunk lid. note that when bonded together it will remove the panel gaps between the humps and the clamshell, and serve to extend the humps a bit further back, all while maintaining an operable trunk. super light - my track day configuration! my friend may take a mold and sell a few if it works out. work is about 75% done on this; will post some pics when complete.

next step is to take a spare old convertible top and modify into a speedster-style roof that would store under the humps when not in use. i am thinking i will trim down the front bar so that i still have a weatherproof connection to the windshield, then modify the middle bar so that it will velcro to the roll hoops, then perhaps some fastex buckles at the clamshell/trunk panel gap that tuck out of the way when not in use. get a canvas shop to finish the job.

and, if the spirit takes me, i can still put the old roof back in (three bolts per side) with the old clamshell (two bolts per side) and run a manual top like many of the folks on this site. i've started the process of rigging up the latch to hold the clamshell in place (thanks to the folks that figured this out) - using the old roof motor mount bracket, a rear trunk latch receiver and a front trunk latch. going to see if i can use the plastic trim that used to cover the roof motor to give it a finished look, and use an old 911 engine cover pull toggle mounted to the rear plastic quarter trim to operate it. we'll see - that is several projects in the future.
INTERESTING. That deserves a new thread.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:44 AM   #14

ok. once i have the speedster panel more complete and am starting on the roof i'll get a new thread going. until then, here is a pic of the humps bonded together and the clamshell prepped for bonding to the humps.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:53 PM   #15

To put a Z roof on, you have to remove the rear trunk lid, correct?
Old 05-18-2017, 08:18 PM   #16

remove rear trunk lid - two bolts each side.
remove clamshell - three bolts each side.
remove third brake light - two screws and a plug.
roof can stay in.
ztop attaches at the front latch, rear trunk latch, two spinlocks. plug in third brake light and rear defrost. 1/2 hour job to swap.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:19 AM   #17

Cool. And it looks far better than the OEM top!
Old 05-19-2017, 04:22 AM   #18

TRK - I'm real interested in this setup - please keep pictures and the process coming. I have 4-5 sets of Boxster humps ratholed, and it's easy enough to find a clamshell. (I know this guy named Woody... )

I'll be real interested to see the finished product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
ok. once i have the speedster panel more complete and am starting on the roof i'll get a new thread going. until then, here is a pic of the humps bonded together and the clamshell prepped for bonding to the humps.

Old 10-29-2023, 03:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbepop View Post
yes i have instructions pdf format.
since it's used you dont have to take it to a body shop and have the windows glued on.

what's your email?
sorry to bring up an old thread, do you still have the instructions for a zeintop?

cheers

McGoo is offline   Reply With Quote