Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #1

Engine access with GAHH top

Hi..trying to access the engine compartment with a GAHH top. How much do you open the top and where does the glass window go? Over the roll bars or does it fold behind the roll bars? Any help would be appreciated.

Sanford_yee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #2

I open the top so that it opens for about 1 foot
Then I have a bungee cord which I connect across the top (front to rear) which helps keep the window raised.
Access however is limited and my glass window pretty much lies flat behind the roll bars
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #3

Thanks Chris. Does the glass lie flat against the roll bar (vertically) or horizontally?
Old 03-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #4

Garage
My Manual say open top 40cm. Disconnect the two cables one on either side of the top (tennsion cables) at lower ball head. Unclip the fabric cover from the 2 holders pulling downward. Fold the rear edge of the top forward toward roll bars. Connect restraint strap over driverside concertable top guide, Just under the canopy front left corner. The glass will be up against the roll bar vertically. My glass folds up against the top and rollbar with what is the top edge down and the bottom edge up.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford_yee View Post
Thanks Chris. Does the glass lie flat against the roll bar (vertically) or horizontally?
horizontally
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #6

Garage

Highjacked this photo of what it looks like from another thread
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #7

The glass will only fold horizontally if you have the top with the extra rib otherwise it will hit the roll bar. I don't have the extra rib so it wont fold horizontally.

So ya i have an unedited video on how to get to the engine with the Gahh top that i haven't gotten around to upload because of a packed schedule. So if you have the Gahh top it should fold like the pictures. I used a rod to hold the top because i did not have a bungie rope. It is a limited space but you can manage. Hope this helps. Also note you could rest the glass a little above the roll bar which can be kind of seen in the pictures.
Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #8

Thanks for the reply guys. This helps alot. I'm able to get it horizontal, I was hoping to get it