Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #1

Cal Smog test after Cleaning MAF

I thought I'll cover my bet by cleaning the MAF and the throttle body before going for Calif smog check. at the smog test, the OBD2 hookup showed that 4 out of 6 "items" were not up to providing detail for the smog test.
the technician said for me to go and drive for 50 miles or so and come back.
after 70 miles, three out of 6 items were still not ready... I did not ask what the "items" were.. My question is
After disconnecting the MAF, does the engine control unit need to re-acquire the relevant data for use by the smog checker. or am I looking at lots of repair $$$?
The car is my DD and runs without any problem. idle is steady, rev up well, etc. have 115K miles on 01 2.7L

thanks in advance.

sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #2

Garage
I don't know the exact count but it will take a few cycles of cold starts and warm-ups and driving a few miles after an OBC reset. I would drive it a couple more days then take it back to the inspection station.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

The car needs to be driven in various conditions in order for the ECU to be ready for the smog test. Do some stop and go driving in the city and some freeway driving and stop and start the car several times.

There used to be an actual checklist that someone had posted which boiled down all of the events that the ECU required to the minimum distance driven. If someone has it maybe they will post it again.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 03-10-2012 at 08:30 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
Registered Boxster abuser

There was a post on this recently key points is do not drive above 55-60 as the test are not performed at high speeds but by in town driving. Try maintaining 45 mph, and 35 mph, speeds. No full throttle squirts needed.

My black car after 600 miles would not do all the tests with the way I drive. then one day I just took a short 20 mile leisurely drive to the beach and bam! all test were done just like that.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #5

Before I smogged my '04, I took it for a jaunt on the freeway......and drove like the cops were after me.

Passed Smog with exhaust so clean one could breathe it.
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #6

Red face

thanks all for your input. I'll drive it for a week and then go back for the testing
Old 03-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #7

Quote:
I thought I'll cover my bet
My redneck version is: Bubba, Hold my beer, watch this..

If you *think* you have a problem, have them pre-test the car. Don't touch it

B
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
My redneck version is: Bubba, Hold my beer, watch this..

If you *think* you have a problem, have them pre-test the car. Don't touch it

B
have had p1128 and p1130 CEL come up from time to time during the 60K miles that I've put on this car. cleaning the MAF did the trick twice over from 2006 to now.
the smog tech did a pre-check and the smog machine reported that the car was not ready.
I'll be going back to the same technician for another pre-check. and this time, I'll write down the non-ready parameters (if .any pending)
Old 03-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #9

Cool. I **believe** there is a way to clear the readiness codes without driving it around. I'll have to ping one of my factory trained tech guy's and let you know.

I feel like a smog expert after having our conversion cars to pass smog with flying colors

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #10

just an update. put on 300 miles of "driving" and multiple run of the "BMW Driving Cycle". only the evaporator is not ready. I have till end of April to get the car smogged.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:44 AM   #11

P1128 and P1130

while trying to get the EVA indicator into ready state, my car poped pending P1128 code. The pending code came up at the same time that I pressed the air conditioning button to turn it on. The idle hesitated a little (dropped) and then came back up to 700 rpm.
as I stated in previous thread, my car has had CEL for P1128 and P1130 twice or three times during the past 5 years. both time, cleaning the MAF did the trick. but recollecting the event, it has always been after getting off the fwy and while at stop and idling. (at the same intersection)
getting back to current event, further driving resulted in CEL with both P1128 and P1130 during the last BMW driving cycle (coast to stop, sitting for 5 minutes)
enough of my car's history.
I'm trying to find a simple conclusion on a complex problem.
After reading many thread on P1128 and P1130 condition, the majority of threads appear to point to a mechanism common to both banks of the engine. And if the CEL lights up while at idle, it's likely cause would be maf, intake leak between the maf and the throttle body or the AOS.

Qustion-1: If the AOS is the cause, wouldn't the car be smoking at high RPM or consistently smoke during start up and the idle speed would wander?

Question-2: my OBD scanner reports air flow as 0.46 to 0.55 lb/min. [[ another thread stated that his 3.2 L reports 4 to 5 gm/sec which is normal. When i do the conversion and scale for 2.7L, 0.46 to 0.55 lbs/min is the same as 4 to 5 gm/sec on the 3.2L engine.]] this value was deemed to be normal. is the volumetric efficiency of the boxster engine about 25% to 30% at idle.
back of the envelope calculation for 2.7L at 700RPM, it should be sucking 945 liters(0.945 cubic meter) per minute, air at 1.1kg per meter^3, the MAF should be reporting 17gm/sec? (did not take into account volumetric efficiency with the throttle closed)
what is the expected typical reading off the MAF as it is reported by generic OBD reader?

update 25 mar.
the combination codes became more frequent. also got P0430 during fwy driving.
replaced maf. it did the trick. now my car is ready for smog.

as for my car's behavior, the P1128/30 combination was set when the car hiccuped at idle. I was also able to set it once by turning on the AC at idle.

Last edited by sb01box; 03-25-2012 at 09:58 AM.