Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #1

Plastic thing wedged between roof and trunk

So I was out shining up the baby this weekend and I noticed that I have this piece of plastic that is wedged between the roof and back where the roof goes into to when you put it down. Kind of afraid to put it down right now because I don't want it stuck in the down position and my other two cars are being worked on right now so the boxster is my DD at the moment. Don't have access to camera right now but the platic thing is about 6-8 inches long and has a clip on the inside of it. any idea of what and how to fix this? thanks
Ed

houstoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #2

I don't understand. Is this something that's supposed to be on the car, but is in the wrong place or somehow misaligned? Or is this a "foreign body", some piece of plastic you picked up inadvertently along the road?
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #3

No it definetly is supposed to be on there. Its oblong about 6-8 inches with a metal clip on the inside. Looks like it goes somewhere underneath or beside when the top goes down inside the car. I'm afraid to mess with it right now incase the top won't go back up and my other two cars being undriveable currently. Half of it sticks up out of the back and half is beneath the service area. Looks like something might have come loose last time I put the top down and back up. thanks !
Old 03-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #4

just went out and checked mine - there's nothing like what you describe in my clamshell area.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoer View Post
No it definetly is supposed to be on there. Its oblong about 6-8 inches with a metal clip on the inside. Looks like it goes somewhere underneath or beside when the top goes down inside the car. I'm afraid to mess with it right now incase the top won't go back up and my other two cars being undriveable currently. Half of it sticks up out of the back and half is beneath the service area. Looks like something might have come loose last time I put the top down and back up. thanks !
Oh, Jeez, odds are exceedingly good I won't be able to help you here. I just wanted to get some clarification so maybe someone else could. I started to open my top to get a view inside and maybe figure out the source of the plastic piece you're talking about. Then it dawned on me that, with it pretty cold out, I probably better NOT, lest I crease/tear the vinyl window. Sorry! Again, maybe someone else might have some ideas.

A pic would definitely help.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Is it the black 'shield' piece that clamps to the clamshell arm?
Sort of rounded, there's one on each side, just below the clamshell ?
I think they prevent the fabric from the top getting 'pinched' in the clamshell arm as it closes?

If that's it, there one end goes over where the clamshell is attached to the sliding rail, the metal clip secures it to the clamshell "arm" -- just takes a little fidgeting to get it into place -- but line up the end that covers the bolt attached to the sliding rail first, then the other end pops in.
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #7

Garage
I've circled where the part I described should attach in Wayne's picture below:

2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #8

On my '06 I had the weatherstripping that clips to the underside of the clam-shell partially come off and get pinched between it and the body.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #9

Quote:
So I was out shining up the baby this weekend and I noticed that I have this piece of plastic that is wedged between the roof and back where the roof goes into to when you put it down. Kind of afraid to put it down right now because I don't want it stuck in the down position and my other two cars are being worked on right now so the boxster is my DD at the moment. Don't have access to camera right now but the platic thing is about 6-8 inches long and has a clip on the inside of it. any idea of what and how to fix this? thanks
Ed
There are at least 3 different types of tops -- 986 97-2002, 986 2003-2004, and 987 2005-. Perhaps it would help to specify your car's year?
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003S View Post
Is it the black 'shield' piece that clamps to the clamshell arm?
Sort of rounded, there's one on each side, just below the clamshell ?
I think they prevent the fabric from the top getting 'pinched' in the clamshell arm as it closes?

If that's it, there one end goes over where the clamshell is attached to the sliding rail, the metal clip secures it to the clamshell "arm" -- just takes a little fidgeting to get it into place -- but line up the end that covers the bolt attached to the sliding rail first, then the other end pops in.
I think this is exactly it. Mine is a 986, 2003. Thanks much !