Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #1

Xenon light kit problems

I installed the HID kits and they work fine but are apparently drawing too much power. I installed them on the high and low beams. When I turn the high beams on they work but my battery and oil warning lights come on and the radio shuts off. Any suggestions?

asexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #2

Your problem is not necessarily one of the lights drawing too much current. We have seen all sorts of electrical problems caused by cheap aftermarket HID “kits”, ranging from various malfunction indicator lights on the dash, audio system issues, shorts, electrical fires, you name it. This one of several reasons we list all aftermarket HID installs as a “deduct from price” item when we do a PPI.

Most of these kits are typically sourced out of the Pacific Rim, mainly China; the quality is questionable, as many times are the components, which also turn out to be virtually impossible to get any replacements for. Even the instructions they come with are often undecipherable. Even worse, in some states the car will not pass inspection with them installed, and can be “ticket bait” for cops so inclined.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #3

Thanks for the info! I had no idea it would cause an issue like this. I'll take them out and keep the original bulbs in.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
SoK

hit your manual spoiler button and see if that turns off the batt/oil lights
Old 02-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #5

Just push the button when the lights come on?
Old 03-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #6
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by asexton View Post
I installed the HID kits and they work fine but are apparently drawing too much power.
Maybe I'm mistaken, but aren't they suppose to draw *less* power and put out *less* heat?
986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #7

Garage
Same exact problem; I'm going to see if changing the relay for the headlights will make a difference.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Same exact problem; I'm going to see if changing the relay for the headlights will make a difference.
I'd bet it doesn't.....................
Old 03-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #9

Garage
Appreciate the encouragement
Old 03-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #10

Haha... let me know what happens.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_inquiry View Post
Maybe I'm mistaken, but aren't they suppose to draw *less* power and put out *less* heat?
LOLLL yes you are right not only they are three times brighter and consume less energy, they can last up to ten times longer

A comon mistake is made by installing the 55W ballasts. You need the small/slim 35W. Again... they are three times brighter so you'll have plenty of 35W HID to simulate daytime believe me. Just change them and you'll be all good mate.

For info... the new kid on the block at the minute is the XPU model made by CNLIGHT. They are so slim we can fit them in the headlight's back enclosure and there is still room left. Nothing dim, no stereo click-sound, no change in V/AMP when switched on, and they warm-up/light-up twice faster than other ballasts!

HID Ballast,Energy Saving Lamp,China HID Ballast Manufacturer

Hope this helps
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #12

Garage
Sorry to disappoint JFP in PA but I installed 4 capacitors and haven't had any problems since (although for sure now that I posted this I will indeed...). I bought these for less than $20 shipped.

This picture is from EBAY.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #13

Garage
Try as you will, there's no substitute for Litronics !
Old 03-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Sorry to disappoint JFP in PA but I installed 4 capacitors and haven't had any problems since (although for sure now that I posted this I will indeed...). I bought these for less than $20 shipped.

This picture is from EBAY.
You didn't disappoint me at all, changing the relay obviously did not work as you had to add capacitors............

Last edited by JFP in PA; 03-10-2012 at 08:52 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #15

Garage
Actually never tried the relay at all after I found these so still don't know.

What I should have said was sorry to disappoint the forum that my efforts won't lend any insight into whether the relay would work.