Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #1
MWH

Premature Engine Failures..

I don't own a Boxster but I have taken a real interest in it as a possible weekend car. I'll be in the market later this year..I've been reading everything I can find on the car. I've visited other forums, read consumer reviews on nearly all the years, and watched a ton of YouTube videos including engine replacements and repairs.

Having said all that what typically comes up frequently are the engine failures, IMS, RMS, and slipped cylinder sleeves etc. While reading a thread on Roadfly I came across a thread blown 1998 Boxster. I counted 43 eng failures alone on that thread most were from 97-99 however there were many later model failures as well. Many were undiagnosed because of the cost of tear down. Many were blamed on the IMS or a slipped cylinder sleeve..I remember one poster noted the poor design of the IMS bearing noting that its sealed and emersed in hot engine oil, seal goes bad and the hot oil washes out the bearing grease bearing fails causing total loss.

This site is probably the best from what I've seen and found on the internet. I would like to see a thread where owners can post a brief description of their eng failure and the outcome, if Porsche did anything to help?? If this information were available it might help others who may experience an engine failure. I can't imagine traveling down the hwy and experiencing total engine failure that is a serious safety issue NHTSB/Boxster Owner would have some leverage in getting these cars recalled...

MWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #2

good luck with that !
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:46 AM   #3

well there were over 200k 986 Boxsters made between 1997-2004. There are several 986's on this site with over 200k miles still kickin' strong.

There are several noted engine failure modes, slipped cylinder sleeves and IMS being among the most prominent.

overall failure is most likely less than 2% (general consensus and my observations)

maintenance and driving habits play a large role in a Boxsters life, you will get several cars that have never had a failure and some cars that have multiple engine failures with the same owner (something fishy there)
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
recycledsixtie

Garage
I understand your situation, I think. Before I bought my 2001 Boxster base last May, I did a whole winter of research. I ended up buying one with 35k miles and have done 5k miles since with no problems. I did have a PPI done on it and there is a slight oil leak on bell housing/rear of engine and they say it could be the RMS or possible IMS leak. Have not replaced IMS yet(that will happen within 2 years)but had installed the IMS guardian that indicates possible ims failure if it is going to happen. Hope this helps u. Otherwise it is a great car but I cannot run this car for the $$$$ of my previous Miata.
RMS/IMS/clutch when I have it done will be about $2-3K. Still no regrets buying this car.
Cheers
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
MWH

fivepointnine,

I do agree with you that there are success stories of Boxsters with many trouble free miles but I suspect the average of failures is much more then 2%. I spoke with 2 Porsche shops in my area today both said the Boxster is a great car. They both indicated very few engine failures and they both have done the improved IMS on Boxsters.

MWH is offline   Reply With Quote