Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 07:29 AM   #1

Costco or Sam's Club Gas?

lately I've been getting into the habit of putting half a tank in when I go shopping at the warehouse stores. I started thinking about the number of times where I bought gas from Exxon, Shell or BP. I could only think of the rare instances when I was low and about to hit a highway away from home. Which got me wondering if saving three bucks is worth going with econo gas. But really its just the convenience of killing two birds with one stone when shopping at these places.

Does anyone else regluarly fill up at Costco/Sam's? Is there really any difference at all in their premium gas?

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
WV Boxster

Garage
My guess is no, Can't see the industry making a different gas and then charging less for it. Probably getting less additives. Good or Bad?
Old 02-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #3

I fill up frequently with Costco gas, and all three of our cars require premium.
Price is 'less' because of the warehouse pricing. For me it is convenience as well, there is a Costco directly across the street from where I work. If that were not the case I might not fill up there as often.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #4

I saw a guy filling up his Ferrari at Costco. Guess he likes the convenience too.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #5

I fill up all the time at Costco. Premium 92 octane gas fine. I see no difference when I fill up there and anywhere else.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #6

Garage
All unleaded gasoline comes out of the same source whether from a pipeline (like Plantation and Colonial in the South) or a barge (Coastal locations such as NYC and the Eastern Seaboard) or train or other delivery method.

What differs is the additive package, octane boosters and oxygenates which are added to RBOB in order to make "Gas with Techron" or "nitrogen enriched fuels" or whatever the oil companies are peddling to differentiate themselves from the competition.

So gas is gas, over time the additive package can make a difference. Costco and Sam's club are obviously reducing the cost in order to sell at a lower price and it is not just corporate philanthropy and pure volume I can assure you. Their gas likely contains less of an additive package.

I would not have any problem putting their gas in a Ferrari I just would not run my Ferrari on it for its whole life. I would buy some BP or name brand gas ever fourth or fifth tanks and you will be fine.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #7

You are pretty much right in that most of the gas at pumps is pretty close. A friend who is an engine tunner says the thing you really need to watch out for is the freshness of the gas. We don't have a Costco here in Oklahoma but I would imagine that Cosco runs enough gas through the pumps to not make that an issue.
sailing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #8

Garage
There is a difference in gas seasonally that many don't know about, there is summer gas and winter gas.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
I would not have any problem putting their gas in a Ferrari I just would not run my Ferrari on it for its whole life. I would buy some BP or name brand gas ever fourth or fifth tanks and you will be fine.
wouldn't it be better to run a gas with additives for four straight fills rather than doing one every fourth tank?
Old 02-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #10

Garage
I think it depends on the type of driving you are doing. If you are doing a lot of city driving then yes, if you are doing a lot of highway or high revs then not as important.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #11
Carnut

Costco.

Nothing wrong with that gas, has all the additives, always fresh because of turnover, and it is not Walmart!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #12
2000 Boxster S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing1 View Post
You are pretty much right in that most of the gas at pumps is pretty close. A friend who is an engine tunner says the thing you really need to watch out for is the freshness of the gas. We don't have a Costco here in Oklahoma but I would imagine that Cosco runs enough gas through the pumps to not make that an issue.
What gas station is your preference in Oklahoma?
Old 02-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #13
l3m

It's cheap for a reason. Maybe less (or no) additives or maybe more ethanol. For the few cents difference, I would go with the top brands.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #14

Garage
I have a friend who works in the petroleum business, and according to him all of the discount brands and service stations buy their fuel from the same big name suppliers. Unless someone like Shell or Mobil is offending some special octane, regardless of who is selling it, most gasoline can be tranced back to same limited number of producers/suppliers.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #15

Garage
Here in Utah Costco and SAMs are always .15 to .20 cheaper than anywhere else. It's the same gas, they just have tremendous buying power and sell such large quantities that they don't need much of a margin. I have used it in all my cars for years with no problems whatsoever. I take the savings and drive a few more miles in the Box. Now if I can just get that transmission mount installed I will go filler-up and put the pedal to the metal.
1olddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #16

Minimum octane ratings are federally regulated. This notion of buying the "good stuff" every few tanks of gas is much ado about nothing. it reminds of an uncle of mine that knows nothing of combustion science, but puts 93oct in every third tank because @it's good for the engine". Either you've gotten what you paid for (ie whatever rating is on the pump) or it has been mislabeled. I've bought has that made my GF's MCS ping, but I doubt that it was at the rated octane. BTW, I've never had a bad batch of Costco fuel.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:53 AM   #17

I buy gas for my three cars that take premium at Costco every chance I get. I have never had a problem. I did have a problem at BP years ago when their gas was contaminated. If no Costco around then I buy it at Sunoco. No more BP for me.
linklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:36 AM   #18

Where I live we can still buy ethanol free gas . I gladly pay a little more.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:45 AM   #19
l3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
Where I live we can still buy ethanol free gas . I gladly pay a little more.
You're lucky that you can find those stations. I read somewhere that the major refineries deliver ethanol-free fuel to the terminals. The ethanol is delivered by truck and rail to the terminal and mixed locally. YMMV

Last edited by l3m; 02-11-2013 at 05:49 AM.
l3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:02 AM   #20

Is it my imagination or does Costco gas not last as long as others? Citgo seems to last the longest for me.

Costco has tons of detergents and additives, BTW.

Costco Gasoline