Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #1

Hard Toppers...looking for some feedback.

Would you buy one again?
Is it worth the hassle to store it?
Does it help with re-sale?

Wasn't planning on getting one..but I almost stumbled on a Zeintop (just left on a boat the Phillipines) so now that got me thinking.

Also after the winter that wasn't here in MI - maybe I could make it through more of the winter here. Just need winter tires, hardtop and a little more global warming.

urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Yes, I would buy one again.

I'm not sure what you mean by hassle to store it. Do you mean offsite? I stored mine on a stand. It took up some floor space, but it is stored in a vertical position so the used floor space is minimal.

It could make a difference with resale, especially if a buyer was specifically looking for a car with a hardtop. If not, a potential buyer probably wouldn't pay a premium for the included top. I sold my car and never mentioned the hardtop. I later sold the hardtop for full asking price rather easily. I bought the top separately from the car about a year after purchasing the car.

My use of the car (nice weather fun) and the climate in my area (generally mild winters) didn't necessitate a hardtop, but I wanted one just to be able to change the character of the car. I really enjoyed it. It was a nice change running the car with the top on, and even more fun taking it off and riding top down during the spring.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #3

Mine hags on the wall in the spring, summer and fall. I use it for about 3 months per year with my winter tires.

I would absolutely buy a hardtop again. I bought mine used. I detailed it when I bought it to bring it up to the level of my car.

The hardtop offers an oversized rear window. Defroster that actually works. A little more space/headroom. And, most important, peace and quiet. It really does make a big change to the car.

If you drive your car year 'round in an area that has a winter -- a hard top is an easy decision.

When I sell my car, I will sell the hard top separately. Folks just won't see the value in the hardtop until they go through a winter and realize...

/
Old 02-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #4

Glad you mentioned bringing it up to snuff

The one I was thinking of looking at was pretty scuffed and scratched. And the wrong color..so it would take some work and $$ to make it look like fit. Any input on what I should budget...DIY or have a pro do it.

Also, I assume you have to take the rag top off before you put on the hardtop. And then put it back on when you want to use it - correct?
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
The hardtop goes on with the soft top in the lowered position. So no removal necessary.

You need a set of fasteners called spinlocks to attach the hardtop to your car (assuming your car has never had a hardtop fitted).
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:37 AM   #6

I specifically looked for a car with a hard top when I bought mine. Of course it takes a little space to store but it is a major advantage if you plan to drive year round in a region with sub-freezing winter weather. The best thing about it is the rear window defroster.
Wret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #7

When I had my first Boxster from 2004 until 2008, I bought 3 hardtops for it. I kept buying them until I found one that was the right color (Orient Red) and then sold the extra tops. I ended up getting the top for next to nothing. When I bought my second Boxster last October, the first order of business was to buy a hardtop. I would not have a Boxster without one.
linklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to ryanwise
My 01S came with both the hardtop and the Speedster tops. In Tampa, the temps are so hot in the summer, you cant drive without the top up and the air on......and it rains every day in the afternoon. I've found the hardtop works well then to keep me cool in the car and protect the top . I have the stand mounted on the wall and store the top off the floor, up and out of the way.
ryanwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #9

Garage
I have one for sale. I really, really like the look and quieter ride with it on the car. However I'm selling because the color match is not right, and I can't stand the discrepancy any more!
Old 02-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #10

Mines a pain, here our weather can be super summer one day and freezing the next.

It's always sunny when I'm stuck with the hardtop on!

I would say its worth it if you have a plastic window, but if it's glass then like me I just keep the hood out!
Splitpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #11
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Absolutely worth it, makes everything quieter, which is a great plus for a daily driver. It's a bit of a pain to get on and off, and I do miss the drop top when you get the occasional sunny day in winter. But overall, well worth it, unless the car is a garage queen. If you have the space, storing it isn't a problem. I specifically kept having a place to store it in mind when I went searching for my last place, the Zeintop is a different story, really meant to be left on forever.

I also have snow tires for my Boxster, it's a perfectly capable car in snow. I've driven through a blizzard or two, and as long as the snow isn't too deep and you drive appropriately, it's just as, if not more capable than most 'regular' cars. Especially, once you consider how many people are too cheap to put on snow tires.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:50 AM   #12

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
mine stays on it's hoist about half the year...

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:10 AM   #13

I rarely ever take mine off. Would love to have a Zeintop, but not at 4k
Old 02-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #14
2001 RUF 3800S

love the hard top. its on for spring off all summer back on during fall. also for a long distance trip its nice to have the hard top.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #15

It is the best of both worlds. I would always want to have a hard top with my soft top cars. I decide when it is on/off. Good for trips and high performance runs. Mostly it is used for 6 months Winter on and 6 months Summer off.