Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2005, 09:01 PM   #1

2005 boxster s - buzzing sound at 3k?

Hi Folks,
Got my S a few weeks ago now and its great fun. One quirk I noticed is that if I'm in first gear, and I ease on the throttle and take it to about 3k rpms (I'm maybe doing 20-25mph at this point) I notice a funny buzzy high pitched rattling sound, kind of like a buzz saw or something that is vibrating that isn't supposed to be.

Is this normal? Right at 3k then at 3.1k it goes away... thought maybe it was cams coming on...

Its been making this noise since new (20miles) and now it has 450 miles.

Anyone else notice this?

Thanks
Jester
silver/black s

jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:21 AM   #2

Congrats on the Boxster!

I have not noticed the noise you described. Next time I drive it I will try to pay close attention and let youi know if I hear anything.

Is your S a 6spd or tip?

2005 Boxster S Seal Grey 6spd
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧蘭
Our other cars: 2005 SL65 Pewter / 2005 G55 Graphite / 2005 SRT-10 Viper Yellow / 2005 MazdaSpeed Miata Red / 2005 Platinum Escalade / 2005 C55 White / 2005 SSR Silver / 2004 Gallardo Yellow / 2004 NSX Black / 2002 Candy Red Prowler + 2001 Orange Prowler + 2001 Silver Prowler + 1999 Yellow Prowler / 2002 35th Anniversary Camaro SS Convertible / 1970 Camaro SS350 / 1970 Black Chevy SWB Pick up / 1969 Garnet Red Camaro SS 350 / 1969 Chevelle SS 396 / 1969 Impala SS 427 / 1968 Chevy Step Side Truck L98/700r4 / 1967 Hugger Orange Camaro 400 / 1966 GTO / 1955 Yellow Chevrolet Truck / 1934 Ford Sedan / 1930 Ford Hiboy Coupe 302 5spd
Steve T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:36 AM   #3

If it's pretty loud, it sounds like possibly something on your exhaust is loose or rattling against something. Right around 3k is ussually where you get the most sound and vibrations.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 10:31 AM   #4

I can't say i've noticed this sound but the dealership should work with you on isolating it. I already had them take care of one rattle for me.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:54 AM   #5

I have the same problem in my 987S. It only happens when you first drive off a exactly 3k rpm and some times going downhill. I can get it to rattle 90% of the time when the engine is cold or hot if I stop the car, shut the engine off, wait a couple minutes and startup and drive. Try that and see if you can get it to rattle and use that as your test if you take it to the dealer.

I took mine to the dealer and they gave me the run around about it being a stuck valve lifter, nothing to worry about. The only way they would look at it if it was happening on a consistant basis. I'm not worried about it, but it's very annoying coming from my first Porsche.

I have 3k miles and it is still happens once in a while. It has calmed down a bit but not completely.

Here's a link on another forum that has a similar problem. http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=16897

Btw, where was yours built in? My box was made in Finland.
Look at your VIN number at the 11th digit -

'S' means Stuttgart
'U' means Finland built.

Maybe there was a bad batch.

Please post if you have any luck with the dealer on this problem.

Now my passenger window is making noise when rolled up or down. I'm going to wait until I have a couple more problems before I take it in....but I still love my Box.
mrsparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:26 AM   #6

Jester, I followed the boxa.net link above and clicked on a bunch of other threads linked in that thread. Found this:

"Porsche in Frankfurt have 'admitted' the oil relief valves are at fault - and as a result are SPECIALLY making another one fit for purpose... they are at present not at the OPC's (to my knowledge) - so don't all rush out to get one fitted..."

You may want to inquire with your service advisor if this has been checked on your car as the source of the buzzing.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:23 AM   #7

I just checkout the post myself.

Didn't know they updated it.

If you read further down in the post it states possible reasons why the rattling occurs.

"I think the sound is likely cavitation, which basically occurs when a pump is pressurizing oil with air in it or theres not enough oil feed to a pump. If the relief valve is opening too early or too much in cold running (ie higher viscosity oil which = higher pressure, and also reluctance to flow into the pump) its possible the pump is being starved of oil, or being fed oil with air in it.. The air is compressed (assuming for the mo that oil is incompressible) and implodes which over time will diesel (or burn) the oil, and will reduce the oil life, increase the acidity of the oil and damage components, making matters worse...

When cavitation occurs (particularly on leading edges of pressure equipment, ie pump lobes/gears) the material in these areas is damaged causing a drop in performance and "sealing" making the matter progressively worse. This may explain why a new oil pump helped for a short while, but eventually the problem came back..."
Old 08-12-2005, 11:37 AM   #8
smc

2005 boxster s - buzzing sound

Just returned my 1 month old Boxster S to the dealership to get them to look at this. In my case the noise occurs at 2200rpm, only when the temperature gauge passes 60 and up to 5 mins after reaching normal operating temperature of 80.
The story from the dealership is that it is a design feature. They explain that it's an air pump that injects air into the exhaust system to meet US air quality regs. Sounds like an engineering kludge to me but no fix.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 11:41 AM   #9

I drove the Boxster today and it does not seem to be making any of the described noises.

Mine has a build date of 04/2005 and was produced in Finland.

2005 Boxster S Seal Grey 6spd
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧蘭
Our other cars: 2005 SL65 Pewter / 2005 G55 Graphite / 2005 SRT-10 Viper Yellow / 2005 MazdaSpeed Miata Red / 2005 Platinum Escalade / 2005 C55 White / 2005 SSR Silver / 2004 Gallardo Yellow / 2004 NSX Black / 2002 Candy Red Prowler + 2001 Orange Prowler + 2001 Silver Prowler + 1999 Yellow Prowler / 2002 35th Anniversary Camaro SS Convertible / 1970 Camaro SS350 / 1970 Black Chevy SWB Pick up / 1969 Garnet Red Camaro SS 350 / 1969 Chevelle SS 396 / 1969 Impala SS 427 / 1968 Chevy Step Side Truck L98/700r4 / 1967 Hugger Orange Camaro 400 / 1966 GTO / 1955 Yellow Chevrolet Truck / 1934 Ford Sedan / 1930 Ford Hiboy Coupe 302 5spd
Steve T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 02:18 PM   #10

Steve, where on earth do you keep all those cars? You really have quite the collection.

I too live in Texas and would love to see this collection some time. You're not by chance in the Houston area are you? For some reason, I'm betting you live nearby Dallas.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:30 PM   #11

Thanks MrSparkle. Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I'm not too worried about it either... mine has happened less recently but I have exactly the same "symptoms" as you. Hot or cold... right at 3k.

I just accelerate hard now past the 3k mark to make sure I don't hear it

I didn't go the dealer route yet... no time and I figured they would give me the run around too.

Mine has an S in the VIN. I heard most of them are built in Finland though....

Now I'm looking at my exhaust tip.... I'll have to take a pic of it... it seems a little low compared to the online pics I've seen of the S. Maybe I'm just thinking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsparkle
I have the same problem in my 987S. It only happens when you first drive off a exactly 3k rpm and some times going downhill. I can get it to rattle 90% of the time when the engine is cold or hot if I stop the car, shut the engine off, wait a couple minutes and startup and drive. Try that and see if you can get it to rattle and use that as your test if you take it to the dealer.

I took mine to the dealer and they gave me the run around about it being a stuck valve lifter, nothing to worry about. The only way they would look at it if it was happening on a consistant basis. I'm not worried about it, but it's very annoying coming from my first Porsche.

I have 3k miles and it is still happens once in a while. It has calmed down a bit but not completely.

Here's a link on another forum that has a similar problem. http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=16897

Btw, where was yours built in? My box was made in Finland.
Look at your VIN number at the 11th digit -

'S' means Stuttgart
'U' means Finland built.

Maybe there was a bad batch.

Please post if you have any luck with the dealer on this problem.

Now my passenger window is making noise when rolled up or down. I'm going to wait until I have a couple more problems before I take it in....but I still love my Box.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:24 PM   #12

My 2005 S 6speed started doing the same thing a few days ago at 550 miles.

Bill
woreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 02:56 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to G3sys
my 05 makes a rattle noise for 2-3 seconds when driving with the engine cold, around 140 degrees... it won't do it again until the car is completely cold again.

the noise definately comes from the front of the car.

it does it every time i drive during warm up.

mine was built in stuttgart, regular box.
G3sys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 03:37 PM   #14

I took my 987S in for an early oil change and to fix the passenger's window noise the other day. Just for kicks, I had them check the rattling noise. The last dealer I took it to brushed me off. Said it was no problem. Found out today that they are going to replace the motor. It is some rare problem with something in the crankcase. They wouldn't give me the details.

I am a little relieved that they are aware of the problem but I'm not too fond of swapping out the motor. Now I have to break it in...AGAIN.

I hope they don't charge me for the oil change.

MrSparkle
Old 09-30-2005, 10:58 AM   #15
bmussatti

Mrsparkle, G3sys, woreilly, Jester and SMC:

Please keep the forum posted on this thread and continued developments.

This is scarring the ba-jesus out of me!
Old 10-01-2005, 01:11 AM   #16

Whoa! Replace the motor? And here I was just getting used to that sound...
I'm taking it in then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsparkle
I took my 987S in for an early oil change and to fix the passenger's window noise the other day. Just for kicks, I had them check the rattling noise. The last dealer I took it to brushed me off. Said it was no problem. Found out today that they are going to replace the motor. It is some rare problem with something in the crankcase. They wouldn't give me the details.

I am a little relieved that they are aware of the problem but I'm not too fond of swapping out the motor. Now I have to break it in...AGAIN.

I hope they don't charge me for the oil change.

MrSparkle
Old 10-01-2005, 10:10 AM   #17

I had mine in yesterday (30Sept05) out of frustration.

Of course, putting the mechanic in the car cured the noise for the moment, but he said they were aware of an issue and that there would be no engine swapping today.

I had the sense of B.S. when he said "Well, it's a sports car and some people take those noises as endearing." I told him it was endearing like a bad heat shield rattle on a honda. Then I heard about some alloy that is harder than others and that might be making the noise. My gut feeling is they know something but are on an advisory-only "put it off 'til later" response.

I was then told the positive note in bringing it in is that I am now on some "complaint list." It does not make me feel any better. This noise is really cramping my style and I'm about to boil over in frustration.
woreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:22 PM   #18

Could MrSparkle perhaps get the dealer (who did his swap) disclose the TSB? Then share with all of us here? At least we will have something to point to....

Thanks in advance!
Jess
05 Arctic Silver S
Old 10-02-2005, 03:14 PM   #19

If you want to be able to access all of the TSBs for your vehicle you can go to www.alldatadiy.com and get a membership for $25/year. I would look it up for you, but mine is a 2000 so I only have TSBs up to that MY.

AllData DIY is a fantastic tool and very cheap when compared with buying factory manuals and/or not having the information you sometimes need to get the dealer to do the right thing. Go to a dealer and say "according to TSB #.... titled ...." and you have his attention.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 08:27 AM   #20

I'm on it like a fly on a pile of ....you know the rest.

I have not received my 987 yet, so I will make sure to get the TSB info.