Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #1

Question about clutch

Hi,
I had a squeal from the back of the car every time I would start moving (release the clutch). Squeal would appear only after car was parked for more than 2 days and would go away after a warming up, it turned out to be new belt that I put in 1 year ago.. however I was so sure it was clutch that I started paying a lot of attention to it.. and now I think something is wrong with the clutch

When releasing the clutch it seems that its a two stage release, it catches first very close to the floor then very high, with pedal almost de-pressed.
IF I rev the engine it's smooth, however when starting at 1500 RPMs is feels like the clutch catches, car starts moving, then almost chokes, then it catches again

Is it normal? Do we have a 2 stage clutch?

Funny how before I never noticed it and was driving fine.. now it drives me crazy!

I have a 2000 Base Boxster with 80K miles on it

Thanks
Sasha

sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

No, the Boxster does not have a two-stage clutch. What you describe makes me think of clutch judder where the friction slip is not linear resulting in uneven take-off from a stop. Judder typically occurs when the surface of the friction plate engages the flywheel unevenly.

IF (and that's a capital IF) clutch judder is the problem, one way to adjust for this in the short term is exactly what you've been doing: apply a smooth increase in throttle as you let the clutch out and avoid slipping the clutch any more than necessary. The throttle and the clutch actions should be smooth, linear, and nicely timed. In the long tern, the problem will get progressively worse and the clutch will likely need repair.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
Ex Esso kid

When you are approaching hills take note of whether the clutch slips on a steep grade, if it does than it is going to need replacement soon.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #4

Thanks for replies,
Clutch is not slipping, I tested it many times.

That's what bothers me, clutch seems to be good, yet has this weird problem.

Thanks
Sasha
Old 02-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
Ex Esso kid

How bout the engine mounts? If they are really bad the shifting of the engine will make that kind of problem.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #6

I looked up the term "clutch judder" and it seems that in my case problem was either condensation or glazing.
I burned the clutch as bit and it feels great again
I also cleaned my throttle body (again) and it was dirty as hell..
I cleaned it a less the 6 month ago when I installed technotorque and now it's dirty again..

What would cause throttle body to get dirty so fast?
I have new air filter, that should do the trick right?

Thanks
Sasha

PS: GhostRider, I don't think it's engine mount related, I replaced my engine mount 1 year ago
Old 02-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
Ex Esso kid

sasha055, car has three mounts not just the front.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #8

Are other two mounts are prone to breaking too?
Front mount seems to be a fairly common problem.. I never heard of rear mounts going bad.

Is there a way to test if the rear mount is broken or not?

Thanks
Sasha
Old 02-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
Ex Esso kid

The other two mounts use a gel or fluid filled technology that dries out over time and allows for play in the mount, at least that is what I read. The 944 used a similar fluid filled mount that was prone to the same weakness.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #10
2001 RUF 3800S

I experience the same type of squealing you do but it was after my stage 3 clutch and aasco LWFW, apparently thats common but annoying as $%^#
Old 02-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #11
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha055 View Post
I also cleaned my throttle body (again) and it was dirty as hell..
I cleaned it a less the 6 month ago when I installed technotorque and now it's dirty again..

What would cause throttle body to get dirty so fast?
I have new air filter, that should do the trick right?
When you did it 6 months ago...is that when you put in the new filter?...and it got dirty again? Very strange. When you say dirty was is black oily stuff or hard carbon like? When I got my car little over a year ago (53k miles) I cleaned mine and it was spotless, previous owner never did it, it was a fun project anyway but not needed. What type of filter are you using, is it one that is oiled?
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #12

Whip:
It was carbon type black sludge that I had to scrub of the throttle body.
I had K&N oil filter before, 6 month ago I changed to OEM paper filter.

It's weird, the only thing that comes in mind.. I de-snorkeled the car at the same time when I changed filter.. maybe it has something to do with it..

violametallic: I don't think I have lightweight flywheel, I have no history of the car before I got it.. but I discovered that previous owner didn't know what car maintenance means

Anyway, this story has a happy ending, something did it.. either burning the clutch a bit or cleaning throttle body.. my clutch feels brand new now!

Thank you all!
Sasha