Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 02:47 AM   #1

Having trouble starting Automatic

Have searched the web looking for similar problems to mine but not much out there.
I have a 2001 Boxster Trip and lately it has been giving me problems starting. Firstly it wouldn't start in Park, but it would start in Neutral. Then it started giving me bother in both...
My mechanic thought it was probably the Neutral Safety Switch and he replaced it last week. Got into the car this morning and it wouldn't start in Park.... It did start in neutral though!! Any other ideas as to what it might be. Will take it back to mechanic on monday and hopefully get some sort of refund but want some ideas as to what else it might be.
As always all help much appreciated.
Pete

Petermark1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:48 AM   #2
WV Boxster

Garage
is it turning over or is it just dead. My 2000 will not due anything every now and then, but after closer look the dash claims car is in reverse. Just wiggle key and gear shift until freed up then put in park. Dash reads park and then start no problem.

Try to make it a habit now to check dash before shutting car off, seems like dash is slow to register park and then on start up something thinks I am in reverse.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #3

Thanks for that tip... It doesn't turn over at all, you would nearly think the battery is completely dead or the immobiliser is on. Will look next time and see what gear the dash says I'm in before I start. Just don't want to get to the stage when it won't start at all...

Petermark1972 is offline   Reply With Quote