Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2005, 06:25 AM   #1

License Suspended over ONE parking ticket

So you you know that parking ticket you put off paying? Well the jerk-offs from this suburban town here in NJ decided to suspended my license over one unpaid $50 parking ticket. YES...ONE, UNO, 1 ticket. A perfectly clean driving record for 10 years and the state DMV gives them the right to do this. They notified me by mail using one of those illegible dot matrix print outs after driving around several days with a suspended license.

By the way this parking ticket was issued by a cop on a late Sunday afternoon when I parked to close to a stop sign. I literally parked there for five minutes and he quickly jumped on the chance to write me up.
So now the $50 parking ticket turned into $100 and they tell me they won't accept payment over the phone via credit card, they close at 3pm and I have to wait for them to mail me a receipt that says I paid up so I can THEN drive an hour away to only one of three DMV locations to pay ANOTHER $100 to have my license reinstated by the DMV. (yeah my thought exactly how are you supposed to get to one of three locations with a suspended license).

took care of all of it this morning. I contemplating challenging the legality of this.
Using driving priviliges to recuperate town funds seem like an improper venue to me. This wasn't a moving violation.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 06:50 AM   #2

Being a cop is the worst job anyone could want. everybody hates cops, but i bet those guys get a kick out of writing those tickets and watching you get pissed off about it. it's the same concept as them driving 55 mph in a 65 mph highway and seeing a whole following of people behind him b/c they are afraid to pass the cop.
i don't like cops in any way. but that's just m o.
hdpt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 06:55 AM   #3

many of my good friends are in law enforcement and I was once involved in investigations federaly. once I noticed I was being unecessarily curt and premeptory to others, I decided to get out.
I told my friend who is on the NYPD about this ticket and even she said this was obnoxious.
btw, the suspension stays on my driving record for 5 years.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:09 AM   #4

Sorry to hear about your woes. Hopefully you'll be back on the road soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdpt73
it's the same concept as them driving 55 mph in a 65 mph highway and seeing a whole following of people behind him b/c they are afraid to pass the cop.
So true. It's hilarious to watch people as you pass them and the cop in your Porsche when they do that. "Boy, he's movin' Myrtle. Must be doin' at least 63 in a 65 passin' that there po-lice officer."

Ours are mostly the opposite around here. I follow them home from neighboring jurisdictions doing 85-95 all the way home. Of course, they would pull me over and rip my license away if I were doing that in their jurisdiction.

All said, they are much bigger men than I. I would not take that job for anything.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:07 AM   #5

union, new jersey.
their police are notorious for handing out parking and speeding tickets.
I thought they would take a break on Sundays. big mistake...
Old 08-09-2005, 01:30 PM   #6

That sucks.

I pass the same cop day after day over this mountain road. I always slow down because I pick him up on radar and he sits in the same spot. Well today he pulled me over for SPIRITED DRIVING! Has anybody heard of this? He didn't give me ticket but said I didn't signal 200 ft before changing lanes and I didn't slow down for a curve. I drive a PORSCHE...I can take the turn at the SPEED LIMIT!!! The curve had one of those yellow signs that say the speed of the curve...isn't that just an advisory?
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 02:04 PM   #7

Spirited driving?

are you making that up?
Old 08-09-2005, 04:07 PM   #8

No, definitely not making that up. I think I was pulled over for not signaling quickly enough...it was kind of a quick blink blink then pass. I looked up spirited driving and it actually is a legit...spirited driving includes but is not limited to excessive acceleration, driving too fast for conditions etc. Tickets are usually not issued because you are not breaking the speed limit. Anybody else heard of this? Maybe he was pulling me over for the lane change and used the term spirited driving to scare me?
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 04:52 PM   #9

I can't stand speed traps. They are revenue machines that prey on hardworking people who have a lot on their mind. I would admire a policeman who just drove in traffic, looking for the dangerous ones.

I also hate it when the construction signs are ambigous and no one knows if it is an active zone or not. If you want people driving 35 then just put up a giant f'ing sign that says 35mph construction zone. We had one here in alabama that always said "35 when workers present". But, it was a fly over and you coudn't see the workers. So instead of a safe situation, you had people slamming on brakes and speeding up, unsure as to wether it was was 55 or 35. The little city cop would sit behind the wall revenueing. Jacka$$

05 S - looking...
lexuspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:46 AM   #10

If i were a cop, i'd hand out tickets like they were going out of style to:
1) people who drive slow in the left lane
2) people who go under the speed limit
3) people on cell phones that hold up traffic (people on cell phones who can actually drive is another story)

in fact, i would volunteer for free to patrol the streets and hand out these tickets.
hdpt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 10:23 AM   #11

I recently had a much nicer experience with a state cop...

Sunday Morning, ~9AM. We were late leaving for the airport and I was working to make up the time on the road driving my gf's Mazda Protege to get to Manchester, NH. Cross over from Mass to NH and crest the rise on Rt. 3 and the NH state cops (multiple) are positioned waiting in the median strip breakdown area. Immediately scrub off speed, hoping they'd pick someone else out of the traffic coming their way. Wrong. Cop walks out into the middle of the highway, points straight at us and then the median. Crap! I pull over.

Cop: License & registration please.
Me: Here you go (we already had it pulled out).
Cop: Where you going?
Me: Airport.
Cop: Wait here (walks back to cruiser).

Cop: (Comes back...) You were going pretty fast. I've given you a warning. SLOW DOWN.
Me: Thank you officer.

He could have nailed me but didn't... and I didn't have to fake tears or anything.

Last edited by donv; 08-10-2005 at 10:27 AM.
donv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 10:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexuspilot
I also hate it when the construction signs are ambigous and no one knows if it is an active zone or not.
They're re-paving one side of a highway here in Buffalo. Now they only work on maybe a mile or two per day, right? Well, they declare the ENTIRE length of the highway a construction zone. Double fine double points in NY state too..
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:53 PM   #13

>If i were a cop, i'd hand out tickets like they were going out of style to:
>1) people who drive slow in the left lane
>2) people who go under the speed limit
>3) people on cell phones that hold up traffic (people on cell phones who can >actually drive is another story)

>in fact, i would volunteer for free to patrol the streets and hand out these tickets.

I'd add to the list people who drive in dedicated exit lanes to pass scores of cars and then try to cut back in just before the exit, blocking the exit lane. I guess those guys (and gals) think they are special.

Another pet peeve is when i put on my signal to change lanes, some a-hole sppeds up to close the gap so i can't get in.
ranbar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:58 PM   #14

My favorite is getting stuck behind a slow driver who, as they're approaching an intersection, speeds up so they make it but you wind up getting stuck at the red light. :ah:
Old 08-11-2005, 05:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranbar2
I'd add to the list people who drive in dedicated exit lanes to pass scores of cars and then try to cut back in just before the exit, blocking the exit lane. I guess those guys (and gals) think they are special.
Don't forget the opposite - those who don't use the acceleration lane to accelerate and merge into trafic at a dangerously reduced speed.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 06:52 AM   #16

Man, this thread has degraded from pulling a license over a non-moving violation to cops being coniving money-makers for their townships to general ********************ing about other drivers. One should never wonder why I love this forum!

Just to insure we remain off topic here, I must tell you of an experience I had Saturday morning just west of Ft. Worth Texas.

I had a 20ish aged gal in a Ford sedan (one of those smaller econoboxes for which I cannot remember the name) who noticed she had a black boxster in her rear view mirror. She, an another older woman in another car in front of her were both travelling 70 in a 65, passing a freight truck who was in the right lane. They were putzing along in the passing lane.

I, of course, was on the last day of a 17 day driving vacation and it was petal to the metal for me, only 5 more hours of driving to get home to Houston.

Well, this 20 yr old decided that she was going to be the parent driver when she realized the old lady in front of her wasn't going to do a tick over 65 if she wasn't overtaking a truck. The 20 yr old matched the speed of the old lady who had now moved into the right hand lane. Temporarily, she was blocking me back to drive the speed of the old lady, and slowed down and sped up when the old lady did.

At first, I didn't realize she was being a total jerk to the Porsche owner and I moved closer, to the left near the yellow line, flashed my brights, you know, all the normal signs for "Hey, move it I'm travelling a lot faster than you" kind of signals.

She responds with frequent taps on her brakes and then harder braking.

(My wife is now really pissed off, shouting at her and I'm trying to fend of ideas of passing on the far right or far left shoulder... decided against it because I knew one of these drivers would flick their wheel a bit and I'd be partially in the grass and spinning out unnecessarily.)

The two lane widens into 5 lanes after about 10 minutes of this crap and I downshift to 3rd, pass on the far right into merging traffic, and the 20 year old shoots me the bird as I zoomed ahead!

I tell you, this is the reason I do not own a handgun. I must say I now undertand road rage far more than before. It's inexcusable to react to another's stupid actions, but I'd never had this happen to me before in my Porsche. Some folks are evidently pissed that they can't drive a nice car. Jealousy is a nasty little beast and brings out nastiness in others too.

You'd think this is the end of the story, but the gal actually tried to keep up with me and rode my butt all the way up to 90 mph when I hit my brakes and she realized she wasn't up for the same treatment from me at those speeds.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 08-11-2005 at 06:56 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 07:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranbar2
Another pet peeve is when i put on my signal to change lanes, some a-hole speeds up to close the gap so i can't get in.
I thought for sure you would be from LA and then I looked up and saw Florida! Must be the same everywhere.

Out here, you cannot use your signal to "ask permission" to change lanes. You have to pick your safe spot, "serve notice" with a blink or two, and go. If you hesitate -- i.e., wait three whole blinks -- whoever is a few car lengths behind will accelerate to keep you from changing lanes. Like programmed robots -- see blinker, stomp gas.

This seems to be especially true if you are in the next-to-the-right-hand lane and are trying to exit the freeway. If you blink three times and haven't changed lanes, you can kiss your exit goodbye.

It's peculiar in Southern California. I really think we have (on average) some of the best drivers anywhere -- almost like you have to be, or else. (Best in the sense of being able to maneuver the vehicle, not in the sense of understanding cooperation and traffic flow.)

Best drivers, EXCEPT when it rains. After months of no moisture, the oil seeps out of the road surface when it rains a little, and these knuckleheads do not change their driving habits to adjust.

The few days that it rains each year, the commute from Orange County to LA goes from an hour and a half to four hours. Not because people slow down for the wet conditions, but because they don't and the freeway is littered with crashed cars.

Once about ten years ago, on a cold wet winter day, it sort of snowed/sleeted for half an hour. It was demolition derby.
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 07:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
The two lane widens into 5 lanes after about 10 minutes of this crap and I downshift to 3rd, pass on the far right into merging traffic, and the 20 year old shoots me the bird as I zoomed ahead!

I tell you, this is the reason I do not own a handgun.
But I thought that in Texas, a defense to a homicide charge was "she needed killin'."
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 08:17 AM   #19

As long as the DMV gives driver's licenses to idiots with attitudes, we will not get along.

SoCal, while your comment could not be more true about Texans, it's not the one that seems to count in our courts, but it does count on our streets.

What I try to remember for my own safety is something published a few years back in our local paper:

"Two out of five Houstonians have a loaded weapon in their vehicle and within reach while driving our freeways."

Don't forget this if you drive around my city for some reason... it's probably better to back off from aggressive drivers than to find your car or skull with a bullet in it.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 08-11-2005 at 08:22 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 10:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
As long as the DMV gives driver's licenses to idiots with attitudes, we will not get along.

SoCal, while your comment could not be more true about Texans, it's not the one that seems to count in our courts, but it does count on our streets.

What I try to remember for my own safety is something published a few years back in our local paper:

"Two out of five Houstonians have a loaded weapon in their vehicle and within reach while driving our freeways."

Don't forget this if you drive around my city for some reason... it's probably better to back off from aggressive drivers than to find your car or skull with a bullet in it.
2 out of 5?
is that including all the one's WITHOUT permits?