Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2005, 09:20 AM   #1

Michelin AVS in Chicago anyone?

Its tire time...!!

The convertible top crapped out on me, with one side on the boot popping and the other doesn't.... I read the posts on this group and dropped the car off at the dealer.

Need to get new tires as well. Dealer gave me a quote of $1220 for 4 Michelin Pilots.
I asked him if there are any 'mud n snow' tires for the Box, he said Porsche doesn't approve them.

Well there was this other guy standing there, he told me he got 4 michelin avs mud and snow tires from a place in suburban Chicago for a lot cheaper too.

The service guy said that he doesn't recommend those tires and there is a reason that Porsche did not approve any snow tires.

Now, I use my car a lot more in winter than in summer, I am auditor and thats when we work the most.

I am seriously considering getting those AVS all year round tires, any suggestions, experiences. ANyone know a good place to get tires arount the Chicagoland area.??

Thanks
Khurram Zaveri

kzaveri82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:28 AM   #2

You'll find lots of Boxster owners on this list buy tires from tirerack.com. That's where I buy my tires and have found their customer service people to be very knowledgeable, helpful and their pricing to be excellent.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:55 AM   #3

ok. Doing that right now. I am looking at these tires...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS&partnum=05YR7SPORTAS&partnum=54YR7SPORTAS&vehicleSearch=true&index=23#

What do you think?

Thanks
KZ
Old 08-08-2005, 11:58 AM   #4

Review from a Boxster driver for this tire..

2000 Porsche Boxster
Miles driven on tires: 6,000

Reviewer's Overall Rating:
Driving Condition:
Combined Highway/City
Driving Style: Spirited

This Boxster is my daily driver in Connecticut, so I drive the car sun, rain or snow. I bought the Michelin Pilot A/S as replacements for OEM Conti fronts approximately 6 months ago. What a difference. Other people said this tire has proved to be a better tire than most high-performance summer tires theyve had. I found that hard to believe, however, I am shocked by just how good these tires are. Also, driving in the rain with the Contis was a white-knucle experience. The Michelins are fantastic in the rain and in anything less than 4 inches of snow actually drive as well as my wifes front-wheel drive Volkswagen. Ill have to see how long they last, but if I get even close to 10,000 miles I would not hesitate to buy these again. -- Review Submitted 2005-05-11

Its goooooood!!

Thanks
KZ
Old 08-08-2005, 12:28 PM   #5

If you've got the cash, I say go for it. I am a poor man though. I will buy these very soon (Sumitomo HTRZ II):

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+Z+II&partnum=05WR7HTRZ2&partnum=54WR7HTRZ2&vehicleSearch=true&place=1&index=1

This tire comes recommended by Jeff (Tool Pants) a long-time Boxster owner on this list and RennTech. I think I'll give them a try considering the Kumho Ecsta MX's I have on my boxster now have just 10k on them and the fronts are cupping already.

Just remember that if you buy unidirectional tires, you can "rotate" them by knocking the rubber off the rims and moving them to the other side every 2-3k when it's time to have them balanced (which seems to be a constant need on my car anyway). This can double the life of the tire if you do it consistently.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 08-08-2005 at 12:34 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 08:40 AM   #6

I Just got poorer by $1500 too. Fixing that damn convertible top. I'll probably get those tires too..

Thanks
KZ