Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2005, 09:19 PM   #1

What if . . .

you could afford a new Carrera Coupe with just a couple options, like PASM, Xenon lights, and the Bose stereo upgrade, . . .

or you could get a Cayman with a bit more options (but nothing that would push the MSRP over $75K), . . .

or you could order a new 987S loaded with every option and upgrade you could possibly want.

What would you do?

SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 05:48 AM   #2

I'd take a 987S loaded with PCCB etc. over a 911 or even a cayman. If you're looking for a drivers car rather than prestige of a 911 it's definitely between the cayman and the boxster and I just prefer the convertible considering it's cheaper than cayman but that's totally your call.
thepress83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 05:56 AM   #3

Talking

I don't like the back end of the Cayman at all.

Sorry, I like the ragtop and think the motor of the Cayman belongs in the Boxster S.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:21 AM   #4

I'll take Boxster S set up like I want it.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:37 AM   #5

This would be a great thread with a poll, by the way.

This is a hard decision, but I'd probably get the 987S due to the soft top. That's what would determine it for me... The 3.2 is fast enough considering I now have a 2.5, so it would be a huge kick in the pants to upgrade to it.

The Cayman's roof is too curved and looks "bubbled" to me. But I bet they'll sell a ton of them! What does this mean? It means that LA Dismantlers will have Cayman engines, trannys, brains and wiring harnesses for sale within 24 months as idiots wrap their cars around telephone poles.

Richard, then you'll start to see 986's & 987's with upgraded engines in them
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 07:45 AM   #6

I tend to think that if you are in the market for a high performance roadster you are only considering cars like the Boxster, Corvette, SLK, S2000, Z4 etc.

The Carrera is totaly different car.
Its kind of like saying would you rather have an M3 or and X5?

Now Carrera vs. Cayman that's another story altogether. Both tin tops.

From a financial point of view I think a low mileage standard Carrera is an excellent deal, a few mods and you have an amazing head turner and eveyone thinks you spent $80,000. A brand spanking new CaymanS is bound to be an enourmous bleeding of money. A real luxury that some guy down the line is going to reap big rewards for when he buys it second hand.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:15 PM   #7

987s

There is no question for me. I would take the 987 S. My Boxster is the 5th Porsche and the most fun. I have had faster Porsches and I have liked them all, but the Boxster is still the most fun. :dance:
Old 08-08-2005, 06:25 PM   #8

Garage
Nothing like cruising down your favorite tree covered road, top down, wind caressing your golden (or grayish) locks......Yeah, 987s GT Silver, Cocoa interior, Bose Sound, Chrono Package, (sorry folks) I'd skip PCCB and I would rather the 5 spoke lightweight carrera 18's instead of the new wheels....Oh of course I like to select my gears thank you, no Tiptronic please.

Last edited by Pablito; 08-08-2005 at 06:28 PM.
Pablito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:45 AM   #9

If the Cayman didn't have that bubble-roof, I'd take it, but as it stands, I like a convertible, so I'd go with the loaded 987S. I've never driven a 911 Cabrio though, don't know what I'd thikn of that.

And the prospect of putting a Cayman motor in a 987S is definitely an idea I hope to visit sometime in the future.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 11:00 AM   #10

The 2002 and newer 911 cab is a sweet ride.

6 speeds, top down and a cool summer evening; can't beat it with a stick!

Old 08-09-2005, 11:16 AM   #11

Given this is a Boxster forum.... I'm probably a minority in prefering a barebone Carrera (997 only, don't like 996 at all) over a Boxster. Cayman is certainly a great option.

I usually don't buy cars that are fully loaded because they are always overpriced. For example, you can get better sound upgrade aftermarket (at same or lower $)than getting Bose upgrade from Porsche. Besides, this is a sports car, I don't care about the sound system that much (engine/exhaust sound more important). Nor do I care about leather dash or other comfy/lux options. PASM, yes, Sports Chrono, yes, performance-related upgrades, yes yes yes....

So, IF I can afford a barebone Carrera plus some performance-related upgrades, then I'll take it over a fully loaded Boxster S. But to save a few $ for a Cayman... gotta think it over.... definitely have to drive it first....

Don't forget great options like an used 993 Turbo or 993 4S, great looking cars
yellowbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 01:47 PM   #12

The Carrera.
All day long, every day.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 02:19 PM   #13

I'd put 65k into the Boxster S, then put the left over 10k into performance upgrades. I'm sure it could be pushed into a 911 range car, with the added benefit of the mid engine layout and the fun of being a bit of an 'under cover' bad ass.
natecooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 06:14 AM   #14
bmussatti

The Boxster for sure! Top down driving...can't beat it.

The Cayman looks great though!

For $10K in mods, I don't think you can approach the 911's HP rating, natecooper.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:46 AM   #15

Being a lifelong motorhead this is a tempting choice. But also being a motorcycle enthusiast I need the open air experience. Hence, any variant of the Boxster will come out tops for me. Open air motoring puts you into the environment and the experience as opposed to being insulated from it. Being enclosed in a coupe or sedan reduces driving to a bit like watching TV. The passing environment framed by the glass windshield flickering passed us while we sit watching, insulated from air currents, sun, scents, sounds and vistas. IMHO

I must admit (despite Robert Pirsig philosophosizing), I have never had the luck to drive a Carrera coupe. Perhaps the experience is so awesome, I'd become a convert.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:26 AM   #16

The Carrera coupe is a nice ride. But, it IS just a ride!

The Box is superb in its own right. Comparing a Box to a Carrera coupe is really apples to oranges. They don't feel at all like the same car.

I have a 911 Turbo coupe right now. Frankly, I am not blown away.

Such is life!

PS-nothing like jumping on the Buell and hitting the twisties!

Old 12-31-2005, 10:02 AM   #17

"For $10K in mods, I don't think you can approach the 911's HP rating, natecooper."

Maybe not right now, but after a few years when there are a few more performance upgrades available I'd be suprised if you couldn't. A 06 Boxster S is 280 hp, a 06 Carrera is 325 hp. That is only a 45 hp difference. With 10 grand you're looking at a bit under $225 per horsie, not a crazy request at all.

Then again, I'm a computer guy and really don't know...
natecooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:44 AM   #18
bmussatti

natecooper, OK, I underatand your point a little better now. We shall see what is in store for the future, regarding mods, for the 987. But, 45 HP is a ton to make-up vs. the Carrera.

As always, HP is part of the equation, but more importantly, it is what you can do with that HP that makes it fun!