Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2003, 09:01 PM   #1
Forum Contributor

Bmw Z4

After watching the Speed Channel's BMW test drive of the Z4, I was tempted to take a test drive at a BMW dealer.
This is a nice car. I think it will really put some competition on the Boxster.

What do you guys think about this car?

Box Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 09:32 PM   #2

I hate it. As far as I am concerned its just a little beefed up Z3. And I didnt like that one. I have owned a few BMW's in the early 90's. To be more specific I have 2 325 Is (1993 and a 94) I really liked those vehicles but when I test drove the Z3 I was not impressed. I have heard they have beefed up the HP alot but still think of the Porsche as being the superior machine.
Many I have become a Porsche snob now but I cant see going back anymore. I have owned every atleast one of each of the German car makers and as the saying goes, "Porsche there is no substitute!"
jfmillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 10:20 AM   #3
Forum Contributor

Yeah, I hear ya.

German cars are great. I love my MB E55 and I wouldn't trade it for anything but a Ferrari Enzo!

I too didn't like the Z3 when they came out. But the Z4 is much better in everyway. I have been really tempted to buy a second car and I am leaning toward a Porsche or a BMW.

Hope that Porsche will unveil its new Boxster soon.
Box Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 02:27 PM   #4

I hope they dont change the boxster too much. Considering the idea of the boxster is based on the origional boxer I would hope they will keep the existing designs and only make small changes but keep the overall body style.
I would say buy porsche over the BMW. But obviously thats your call. Remember though....there is no substitute!
Old 04-10-2003, 02:55 PM   #5
Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Vance (PA) Send a message via Yahoo to Vance (PA)
I looked at Audi TT, Z4, and Boxster... at the beginning of my quest for a new car, it was actually agonizingly close. I love the design of the TT coupe (to me the TT convertible just doesn't work). And I was optimistic about the new "ground-up" re-design of the BMW roadster.

However, with each passing day, the TT struck me as more and more pedestrian. And the Z4 design, quirky at first, now is downright ugly to me. (Why, oh why, didn't they use Z8 design for the Z4 instead???)

The Z4 seems like the perfect car for people who want a compromise between the Boxster performance and Mercedes luxury/comfort.

I didn't want compromise. I wanted an all out sports car. The Boxster is not only the winner there, but to me, it is also infinitely better looking than all of the above. Classic, timeless, and striking.

Last edited by Vance (PA); 04-10-2003 at 06:01 PM.
Vance (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 04:37 PM   #6

Talking

Well put. You took the words right out of my mouth.
The Boxster is Timeless, while I feel the Z4 will be just another model released to the masses
Old 04-10-2003, 06:05 PM   #7
nez
Forum Member

CAR magazine had a comparo between the TT convertible, the Z4 and the 2.7 Boxster.

The Boxster won.
nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 07:08 PM   #8
Forum Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Supamatt
Road&Track (May 2003) has a comparo of the Z4 and Boxster.

The Z4 won

DigitalInsomnia
http://digitalinsomnia.cc/matt/road.jpg
Supamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 08:08 PM   #9
nez
Forum Member

Top Gear had the same comparo. Boxster won !

Generally UK and US magazines use differing criteria when assessing cars:

UK has more emphasis on handling whilst US rate comfort and quality of ride more...

a big generalisation I know but it's true...
nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 07:25 PM   #10

What I can not figure out -- what is with the fricking side-gizmos sticking out on the Z4 (front fender area)? Seems kind of wierd. I am sure it is a good car -- I own a 525i (wife's car) and love it for what it is (sedan). However, for a sports car, and yes, the main reason for the P-car, is the "sports car." BMW falls short in that department.
ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 03:41 AM   #11

Thumbs down BMW Z4

I don't really care for the styling of the new Z4. Didn't much like the Z3 either. One thing that always kept me from getting a BMW Z3 was the front end styling, just doesn't work for me at all.

You just can't beat the timeless shape and lines of the Boxster.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 12:13 PM   #12

BMW's weird designs!

I have now had the chance to inspect the Z4 up close and personal and have also seen many in local (Boston area) traffic. Just plain weird. I don't care how well it performs, it looks weird inside and out. If I didn't own a Porsche and had to buy some other Sports car, TVR might be interesting.
William Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 03:03 AM   #13

Thumbs down Guy at work just bought a Z4

Well a guy at work just bought a Z4, the 2.5L version. So I have had a chance to look at it up close. Gotta say, it is just a weird looking design inside and out. Can't hold a candle to the Boxster. I was looking at my Boxster last night in the garage thinking there just isn't a single thing about it that is not a thing of beauty. It just all works, unlike the Z4.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 01:44 PM   #14
JT
Administrator and Founder

I agree. The boxster design simply looks classy, sporty and timeless. however, the new z4 is just plain odd looking and will probably change again soon with drastic difference.