Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2005, 05:44 PM   #1

Ugh. I drove a 02 Turbo

While in Chino, CA on vacation, a friend of my brother pulls up in a speed yellow 02 turbo carrera and tosses me the key.

Drove it up and down the business street close by and started to drool all over his leather dash, great instrumentation, and nearly complete lack of turbo lag. Fluid acceleration straight through all four of the six gears I got to play with for those brief minutes.

Absolutely hated the short shifter he said he paid big $$ to have installed at the dealership two weeks prior. Too notchy and hard to get into gear. Loved everything else though! It had 8600 miles on it.

Then I had to get back into my 2.5 liter, normally aspirated boxster and whimper down the road for the rest of my driving vacation.

Very sweet. I might just have to buy one one day when a relative dies and leaves me $$$ (since I don't play the lottery).

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 08-06-2005 at 05:46 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 06:36 PM   #2

Talking

The Turbo is a ton of fun for a TON of money!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 07:32 PM   #3

This fellow obviously had more money than passion for Porsches. I asked what size engine it had and if it had twin or single turbos and he said he didn't know. He just said, "I have no idea... all I know is that I can hit 120 in the blink of an eye."

What DOES it have anyway? 3.4L with twin turbos, right? And how much is that 02 worth today, Richard?
Old 08-06-2005, 08:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Then I had to get back into my 2.5 liter, normally aspirated boxster and whimper down the road for the rest of my driving vacation.
If you want to feel better, read the Excellence magazine article from about a year ago about "Why there will never be a turbo Boxster". With the Boxster being more balanced and better handling, it would out-perform the 996 if they added a turbo.

Don't you hate it when someone has a wonderful piece of engineering and they don't care enough to appreciate it?
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 08:29 PM   #5

I do appreciate my boxster's balance and handling. I just wish it had a 3.2 in it instead of a 2.5... that would do it for me. Just couldn't afford to plop down twice what I paid for a newer Boxster S.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:30 PM   #6

Quote:
What DOES it have anyway? 3.4L with twin turbos, right? And how much is that 02 worth today, Richard?

Its got a 3.6 flat-6 twin turbo. 02 with average miles will run you in the low 80k
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 05:20 AM   #7

More info on Turbo

"2001 Porsche 911: Porsche revived the Turbo coupe as an early 2001 model, with a twin-turbo 3.6-liter engine that produced 415 horsepower. For the first time, Turbos could be equipped with an automatic transmission. Carreras kept the 3.4-liter engine. Turbo 911s featured bolder front/rear styling, standard 18-inch wheels (versus 17s on Carreras), and a "biplane" rear spoiler designed to enhance high-speed stability.

2002 Porsche 911: Revised styling and more power arrived for 2002. Base models switched from a 3.4-liter engine to a 3.6-liter, rated at 320 horsepower rather than 300. Also new for 2002 was the GT2, essentially a rear-drive Turbo with a 456-hp engine, special suspension, and fewer standard luxuries--all aimed at lowering weight and increasing performance. The GT2 also introduced the industry's first Ceramic Composite brakes. Interior materials were upgraded this year, front seatbelt pretensioners were installed, and convertibles switched from plastic to glass for the back window. All models except the GT2 got an optional navigation system and five-speed automatic transmission."
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 06:19 AM   #8

Twin turbo HP for the 02 with 3.6
No x-50 package 405hp
with x-50 450hp

X-50 performance package comes standered on all GT2's and is an option on TT's
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 06:38 AM   #9

Quote:
I do appreciate my boxster's balance and handling. I just wish it had a 3.2 in it instead of a 2.5... that would do it for me. Just couldn't afford to plop down twice what I paid for a newer Boxster S.

You would think the S would be enough, it wears off also. I will be turning my car over to Imagine Auto at the end of August for four months. We are adding many mod’s such as:

Super Charger (they have completed this on the 2.5 and 2.7 with no issues. Imagine Auto has a different outlook on how to make it work and be safe for the car)

Cams (help the car breath)

Headers

Sport cats

New Clutch and lightweight flywheel

G.I.A.C chip tune to make it all run well together

Target: 410 WHP

I was asked to do this on as a "mule car" for these guys. For those that have not heard of Imagine Auto they are one of the leading performance Porsche shops in the country. Stephen Casper and everyone else at that shop are very knowledgeable guys. They WILL NOT do anything to jeopardize my car. I have been doing business with them for a while and I highly recommend them.

You may always PM me but I will be starting a new thread about the progression if asked to.

Check them out:
http://www.imagineauto.com
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 09:42 AM   #10

my local PCA club bumps the turbo down a class to the BoxsterS for Autocross.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote