Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
Boxster S Bassist

Can you polish out windshield scratches?

I just bought a 2000 Boxster S and though the car is in overall nice shape the windshield has many very small scratches all across it that make it very difficult to see though it under bright light/glare. They may be rock chips though I think the forum member who suggested that they were caused by an automatic car wash brush is likely right. Another forum member said: but the rock chipping is (to me) excessive. The windshield is so badly pitted (all very miniscule) that I'm considering replacement (getting tough to see through the glare when the sun hits it just right). I've never seen a windshield get so rough so quickly, either.

Is there any way for a shop to buff these out or must the windshield be replaced (which I hate to do because replaced windshields seldom are as leak-proof as the original ones!) and hopefully by a more durable scratch resistant one! Thanks!

John Bergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:37 AM   #2

Do an internet search on "How to polish windshields/glass". Lots of articles on how to do it.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:35 AM   #3
Ex Esso kid

Depending on the extent or depth nothing might do but a new windscreen. However, I ran my Porter Cable over mine with my current favorite polish product:

BLACKFIRE Scratch Resistant Clear Finishing Polish, final polish, clear coat polish, car polish

As long as you are careful with pressure and the seams where the water barrier begins it wont hurt a thing. IMO, if anything is going to work it will be the PC, you simply cannot duplicate its abilites by hand.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:30 AM   #4
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
John - Mine is the same way. I'm guessing the previous owner did some serious tail gating or the lowness and shape of our cars just attracts lots of sand blasting. Mine is not that noticeable until driving into the sun, then it is awful. I keep wondering when a big rock will hit it and take out so I can get a new one.

I've read several threads on the issue and most conclude it can't be made much better. I used my Griots random orbital with their glass cleaner and it helped just a tiny bit. I haven't done a full 4 step process of compounds and polishes yet. I didn't want to experiment like that until I was ready to replace it if I mess up. I know the process works well on paint but I don't know about glass.

BTW welcome to the forum. Good to have you. Post some pics sometime. Oh and if you make any progress on the window let us know.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #5

I live in Colorado where they use stones to melt the snow in the winter. This leaves fine gravel on the roads all year long. It can be normal out here to replace your windshield every year on a daily driver, and about every 5-10 years on a car used only on summer weekends. I have glass replacement with zero deductable on all my cars and use it when I get a chip that leads to a crack.
Insurance won't replace it from sandblasting over time, so when it gets really bad, you hope for a crack so you can get it replaced. In extreme cases where the windshield gets hard to see through when looking into the sun, you might just have to help that process along a bit.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:11 AM   #6

I'm going back a few years on this subject of cleaning a scratched windshield. They actual had back in the 60's a windshield scratch cleaner. We used a buffer and this glaze in a paste form and buffed the windshield to nearly new condition. My thought is to contact a local glass company that cuts and installs glass and see if they have anything that might work. A new windshield is some serious bucks.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
Registered Boxster abuser

not worth it, the vision change across the repaired area will frustrate you to the point you wish you left it alone or just bought a replacement.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:26 AM   #8
Boxster S Bassist

Thanks for the welcome to the forum and the info WhipE350 and other folks! Good suggestions. The car did live in CO for a while so the road conditions there likely did contribute to the problem!

John Bergen is offline   Reply With Quote