Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2005, 10:23 AM   #1

New Boxster Fan - Help Deciding Between '01/'02 and '03

I am shopping for a used Boxster S. From what I understand the main differences between the '01/'02 Boxster S and the '03 Boxster S are as follows:

18" Wheels - Lighter(by 6lbs) and better looking(in my opinion) available for '03
Glass rear window for '03
Front and rear and side fascia updates for '03
8hp increase in '03
Minor changes in the dashboard in '03 - cupholders and maybe others
Please list any updates I am missing?

I need some help deciding between buying an '03 or something older. My brother has the Boxster and he says the glass window alone is enough reason to buy an '03. How bad are plastic windows and how long do they last? I am leaning towards the '03 because of these updates. I don't think the price gap is that big between buying an '02 and '03. Please let me know what you think.

Kan-O-Z

Kan-O-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:28 AM   #2

The glovebox was added then as well. IMHO, the only thing really worth considering is the glass window. It's worth it I think, plus the fact that you'll have another year on the balance of a factory warranty on an 03.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 11:43 AM   #3

try to extend your warrnaty with a company like warranty direct before the factory warranty expires. Most companies won't insure a car after the coverage has expired. I paid $2000 for bumper to bumper (minus maintenace) for 5 years.

and try and get all the options before you buy it. Porsche upgrades are outrageously expensive, $2400 for wheels, $1100 for HID's, $3K-$4K for aero kits, and my favourite GT3 Recaro Pole position seats!

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote