Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #1

Double Din HU Install Help

I know this has been done but having difficulty finding the posts to help.

I have a 2000 986 cdr-220 with DSp and want to install a double din unit- pioneer avh-3300bt. What harness do I need? Also, can I keep the existing amp or do I need a new on? If same amp, do I need anything special for hook up?

I know I need the following parts:

Double din fascia
HVAC fascia
Ant adapter
What else?

Thanks in advance and sorry about this post when a proper search should answer my questions

Sanford_yee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
WV Boxster

Garage
you might need a new pocket that goes where the cd holder is now. ac unit goes to bottom and pocket aabove that, old pocket wont work there. then double din.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:56 AM   #3
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Sanford_yee,

I can't answer any of your questions specifically, but maybe this thread will help if you haven't seen it.

Best of luck,

ddb

Recent Install - DVD Navigation
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #4

I did the same install on my car. Its a fun and easy job to do that you can do on a lazy Saturday afternoon.

First, you'll need to pick up the double din kit from Euromotorspeed. That kit comes with the facia, brackets, and wiring harnesses that you'll need.

Next, you'll have to cut the thin plastic center support in your housing. A dremel takes care of this quickly. The photo below shows the center support i'm talking about.

As stated before, you might have to relocate your AC/Heater controls if they are in the upper section of the dash. Everything else should just bolt, click, or snap into place.

Heres a photo of mine

Good luck!

Cheers

Mark
Appleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #5

Here is what it looks like in my car :=

Hey,

Had the same unit installed about 6 months ago. Heres what it looks like.

The installer completely removed ALL the original wiring/amp/speakers. So new dash/door speakers and kept the rear kit that I already had put in prior.

The dash/door speakers are set up as front using only the head unit amp and rear is rear. The sound is a 300% improvement over the original system and I think looks great installed.

Make sure you use a fast SD card. My initial 32gb was a class 4 card and it could take 2 minutes to read everytime you start your car. So now 16gb sandisk extreme III and its 5 to 10 seconds. The bluetooth with the parrot system works amaying. I get alot of feedback from people how clear it is compared to 'factory' car kits. Im now looking for the GPS reciever but its rather expensive so I may wait.

FYI, it took my installer guy 2 minutes to do the handbrake hack, so that video will play in motion.... not a big deal for me but may as well hack it....

anyway. hope you enjoy it. I do.
Attached Images

Past Cars
2006 MB C180k
2005 Peugeot 306
1980 928
2004 Subaru Liberty GT
2000 Nissan Pulsar SSS
smagerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:21 AM   #6

Garage
As long as you don't install it like this one, everyone should be happy:
2001 Boxster S - 997 GT3 bodykit, Techart Wheels, Air Suspension, 2DIN stereo-GPS-Bluetooth-Reverse numberplate camera, rear speakers, Park assist, PSM, Litronic, Porsche Crests in the headrests, Rebuilt engine-IMS upgrade,Eurocup Boxster matched tube manifolds-twin high-flow cats- twin high flow rear silencers, Short-shift kit.

1999 Boxster - Xenon dip, Main and fog, Park assist, stereo-GPS-Bluetooth, rear speakers, sub-woofer
fooksm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #7

I just looked at the kits from Euromotorspeed on E-Bay; it says the support bracket is discontinued. Anyone installed without the bracket?

Below is from the listing:
-Custom rear support bracket (shown next to the radio removal keys) DISCONTINUED, No longer used in 97-02 9X6 vehicles
-Rubber base strip - Pre-applied onto the housing offers firm support and cushions shock as replacement for rear support bracket
UNYboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #8

Garage
You can remove the 2 metal brackets from the original Porsche bracket, to give yourself a working support bracket... These 2 metal clips are riveted in and can just be drilled out.
2001 Boxster S - 997 GT3 bodykit, Techart Wheels, Air Suspension, 2DIN stereo-GPS-Bluetooth-Reverse numberplate camera, rear speakers, Park assist, PSM, Litronic, Porsche Crests in the headrests, Rebuilt engine-IMS upgrade,Eurocup Boxster matched tube manifolds-twin high-flow cats- twin high flow rear silencers, Short-shift kit.

1999 Boxster - Xenon dip, Main and fog, Park assist, stereo-GPS-Bluetooth, rear speakers, sub-woofer
fooksm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:12 AM   #9

I used Euromotorspeed double Din installation kit. I e-mailed them the type of unit I was installing and the installed Bose system and they provided the correct harness. Just plug & Play. They also supply the double din mounting chassis and the square and curved fascia plates. Check them out on Ebay (no affiliation).

There are also a few clips on YouTube. Search Boxster or 996 Double din install.

I installed a Kenwood DNX-5160 double-din head unit with Garmin Nav, Satellite radio & iPod from Crutchfield. Bluetooth and programmed startup and main screens.

Good luck!

Some pics:

Before:

During:

Afer:

lilredpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #10

Need some advice. I want to move the climate control to the lower console but read that I will need to also keep DSP or the stereo will not work. So how did you mount it behind the lower center console? Just leave it or is there another way? Any other option I'm not thinking about? Thanks
Old 07-07-2014, 05:47 AM   #11

Hello, I am new to the porsche world. 2001 986 base. Local audio shop wants 2k to convert to double din, this sounds crazy to me. I already have relocated ac controls up one spot on lower console and replaced cd rack with cubby. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I will also be adding body kit, I can have it painted free so im hoping to find what kit or manufacturer the is the best with direct fit no mods. Thanks.
capthale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by capthale View Post
Hello, I am new to the porsche world. 2001 986 base. Local audio shop wants 2k to convert to double din, this sounds crazy to me. I already have relocated ac controls up one spot on lower console and replaced cd rack with cubby. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I will also be adding body kit, I can have it painted free so im hoping to find what kit or manufacturer the is the best with direct fit no mods. Thanks.
That seems insane. I had mine done late last year. I provided the head unit, Eurospeed install kit and the cubby, and the total bill was less than $250. Mine was in a 2002 Bose (non-MOST) car.
Devact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by capthale View Post
Take a look here, this is the Euro Motorspeed kit.

Aftermarket Radio Installation Kit:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:33 AM   #14

Great info guys thanks for your help. Ill post before and after pics soon. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated
capthale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #15

Hey...getting to this late. Hopefully you didn't buy the euro motorspeed kit. This is what I bought:

Double Din kit Pioneer ADT-133 = $40 (off ebay)
Installation Kit (Ant Adapter, Metra 70-1787, radio keys) = $26.81 (amazon)
AC Bezel = $12 (Suncoast)
ABS Sheet = $10
Insulation Foil = $5
Porsche sticker = $10(?) (off ebay)

As you can see, under $100, you can get a kit that is the same as the $250 kit. Labor is free

I can send you the instructions if you need.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford_yee View Post
Hey...getting to this late. Hopefully you didn't buy the euro motorspeed kit. This is what I bought:

ABS Sheet = $10
Insulation Foil = $5

As you can see, under $100, you can get a kit that is the same as the $250 kit. Labor is free

Looks like the DD ADT-133 is $32.98 at Amazon, even better. Great post by the way
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford_yee View Post

ABS Sheet = $10
Insulation Foil = $5

I'm hoping to do this later this summer. Do you have any pictures of your setup?
1985 (early) 944; gone now, but not forgotten.
1974 Fiat X-1/9; my first mid-engine car.
UNYboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #18

Here you go...
Old 09-17-2014, 12:42 PM   #19

Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooksm View Post
You guys may rip this screen install (and tbh i can see why), but they have installed the ac unit in the upper part of the lower console which is something i really want to do and cannot find any information on it. - so he did something well
b19upj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #20

Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooksm View Post
You guys may rip this screen install (and tbh i can see why), but they have installed the ac unit in the upper part of the lower console which is something i really want to do and cannot find any information on it. - so he did something well
Does any one have any links, info or advice on mounting the ac unit in that upper lower position? I think its a more convenient and nice looking place to put it

b19upj is offline   Reply With Quote