Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 04:59 AM   #1
2006 987

Garage
Why doesn't everyone drive a Boxster?

Like the title says, why don't more people drive Boxsters?

1) Used price is very reasonable, and the body style has remained virtually unchanged
2) Repairs are expensive but they're worth it considering what you're driving
3) Gas consumption is better than most V8s or SUVs, especially with the 2.5/2.7 and a manual
4) 2-seater doesn't haul much, but I see plenty of convertible corvettes, SLKs, Miatas, etc and they have far less trunk space than us
5) The "impress friends/family/strangers" factor is high (at least in the Midwest) compared to any other vehicle in this price range, especially when purchased used

Perhaps the strangest part: even people that know exactly what this car costs used are impressed by it and want to drive it

"wow" story:
My dad was driving my Boxster while I sat in the passenger set on Saturday. We were driving through a small town with the top down and two 12-14 yr old boys were standing in front of a corner diner talking. As we slowed to take a turn I heard one say "Whoa, a Porsche!" I waved as we turned and they started cheering. We got a big kick out of that, made us feel like celebrities for a minute

986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_inquiry View Post
2) Repairs are expensive but they're worth it considering what you're driving
i guess it depends on whether it's more important to spend money on a "status" symbol to keep it running, or put your money elsewhere and drive something that doesn't need as much upkeep.

Quote:
4) 2-seater doesn't haul much
makes hauling the wife, 2.5 kids and Fido around kind of tricky.

Quote:
5) The "impress friends/family/strangers" factor is high
yet if everyone drove one that "factor" disappears.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #3

Garage
Production numbers are among the lowest in the industry. Heck ALL model years combined would not provide enough cars for the state of Texas!

Just my .02
Ocean Blue Metallic/Savannah Beige | Tiptronic | Custom Rear Spoiler | 17" Turbo twist | Red Brembo Calipers | GAHH Top w/Glass Window | Tinted Windows | Cruise Control | Leather Interior | Heated Seats | Color Wheel Caps | Traction Control | Debadged
John99Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #4

If everyone wanted to drive one, then the price would not be as depreciated as it is. Demand would be greater.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Probably because, like myself until a few years ago, many of them are probably thinking, based on the marque's prestige and associated high costs, that they "can't afford one of those". The only experience I ever had was back around 2005 or so with a '99 with 28k miles that went for about $25k. I did some looking around a few years ago for ha-ha's to see what prices were looking like now, and was rather surprised. Then I spotted one sitting in a dealer lot on my commuting route, saw that it was still there after a year, and ended up purchasing it.

She may not be "fast", but she sounds nice and handles better than anything else I own.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #6

Because everyone I know has figured out how expensive they can be to maintain and upgrade.

I definitely will think long and hard about buying another Porsche that isn't at least CPO.
You may dodge the expensive repairs bullet but the longer you keep the more certain it is that your luck will run out, espcially if your Pcar is winter driven.

p.s.
regarding gas consumption from your list, the Escalade gets 18mpg highway. My Boxster does about 21 mpg.
The Ford Edge crossover/SUV thing gets 30 mpg higwhay.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-05-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #7

1. I love the car. But some people just don't like the looks of Porsche's. To some, it is not muscular enough or boxy enough.

2. People think they are expensive to buy and insure. Many people thought I was rich. Someone thought my <$10,000 used 986 actually cost me $40,000. Another person thought I spent $25,000 and another guessed $18,000.

If you are a DIYer, it is cheap to maintain and repair. The only expensive issues that you need a mechanic for are IMS, transmission rebuild or replacement, clutch, engine rebuild or replacement. These are the only $1000+ issues I know of. Water Pump is a bit more complicated for DIY, but it can be done. It just cost me $600 for parts and labor for water pump replacement.

But belts, pulleys, throttle body, AOS, MAF sensor, oil change, air filter, exhaust pipes, O2 sensors, lightbulbs, and more are so easy to replace or fix yourself even for those without much experience with cars. All the how to guides are on pelicanparts or youtube. Even some of the suspension pieces like tie rods are easy to replace. All of these are $10-$500 parts with $0 labor potential.

For performance parts. Some are way overpriced when compared to Japanese cars like exhaust and forced induction and rims, but some are also the same price or cheaper like Underdrive pulleys, Performance Intakes, Suspension modifications.
ProjectM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #8

^Those parts add up. I did the math on my $12-13K in repairs/upgrades and I'd say only 40% was labor, and there weren't really that many upgrades when I come to think of it.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #9
Registered Boxster abuser

It really depends on what you compare it to. I just got a sc430 I'm driving around and for everyday use I think I would pick it over the Boxster, better power, more torque, better stereo, better everyday seating, Hardtop is quite when up.

But if I'm going into the canyons I think I would take the Boxster, but not sure as I don't know how well the sc handles yet.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #10

Last weekend with the top down at a red light a Miata? owner yelled over to me and said "When my car grows up it will be a Porsche !!'' Then drove away and gave me a thumbs up !!. I am glad that I bought this car. Nothing is perfect and every repair garage is full of all kinds of broken cars. As long as it runs, I am in love.
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:57 PM   #11
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
p.s.
regarding gas consumption from your list, the Escalade gets 18mpg highway. My Boxster does about 21 mpg.
The Ford Edge crossover/SUV thing gets 30 mpg higwhay.
Escalade gets 18mpg highway driving cross-country if you fill up, immediately get on the highway, cruise at 60 mph for 400 miles, get off highway and fill up again. By that comparison we get 30mpg

Proof from the mouth of owners:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=escalade%20mpg&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CE4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftownhall-talk.edmunds.com%2Fdirect%2Fview%2F.f0da912&ei=yYzdTtqvKYKL2AXil9mVBQ&usg=AFQjCNFJyqiME2qTUWsVfv4pyju15z4q3A&sig2=NQ-Wi3l2hCW8x9QOBtwfXA

Quote:
I recently got 19MPG on a trip from Boston to Charleston, SC. I average around 14 around town (13-15).
Quote:
I love my 06 Escalade. 15.1 MPG but am looking to get one of the new Hybrids.
Quote:
Drive it as I am drving a 5000lb vehicle. I can get 14.6 average and 17 highway on Y2005 ESV.
Quote:
I just purchased a 2007 Escalade. A year old vehicle but almost new. It only had 221 km. on it. On my first tank of fuel it used 61.7 lt to go 234.8 km. That is 10.75 mpg (Imperial) so even less per US gallon.
And I know "oh we only average 6mpg better". That 6mpg is 40% more (15mpg vs 21mpg). That's actually pretty huge, 40% more than our 21mpg would be 29.4mpg. Only very modern (2008+) 4-cylinder cars or hybrids can even touch an average of 29.4mpg, so a 40% improvement is nothing to sneeze at.

Also improving gas mileage is an exercise in diminishing gains. Average person drives ~15,000 miles a year. It comes to a point in mpg that it doesn't make much sense to keep improving. 100mpg would only use 150 gallons instead of 300 gallons a year used by a 50mpg vehicle, but what vehicle gets 100mpg? A 50cc scooter? 50mpg vs 25mpg uses only 300 gallons instead of 600 gallons, but the only vehicle that could average 50mpg is a brand new Pruis. Sure that extra 300 gallons the 25mpg vehicle uses a year is $1000 more per year (averaging $3.33/gal), but if the new hybrid costs $10,000 more than the vehicle that averages 25mpg (which I'm sure it does) then you might as well get the 25mpg vehicle, and look at all the options you have for 25mpg vehicles?

Boxster 2.5/2.7 manual seem to offer reasonable mileage (low 20s) while still looking great and performing well.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #12
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon View Post
i guess it depends on whether it's more important to spend money on a "status" symbol to keep it running, or put your money elsewhere and drive something that doesn't need as much upkeep.
Plenty of people buy civics and mustangs and camaros and spend thousands tricking them out to try and get the "wows" Porsches get stock.

Besides which is cheaper: paying $500/month for a recent Camaro or Mustang convertible, or $200-300/mo for a 10 yr old Boxster and setting aside $200/mo for upkeep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon View Post
makes hauling the wife, 2.5 kids and Fido around kind of tricky.
This argument has always confused me the most because don't most men drive to work? Do they take the wife and kids and Fido to work with them? I drive to work alone so a 2-seater is more than plenty for a "work" vehicle. Wifey can keep the kids in the minivan/SUV

Last edited by 986_inquiry; 12-06-2011 at 04:59 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #13
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectM96 View Post
For performance parts. Some are way overpriced when compared to Japanese cars like exhaust and forced induction and rims, but some are also the same price or cheaper like Underdrive pulleys, Performance Intakes, Suspension modifications.
IMHO a Porsche is one of the few vehicles you'd not want to do "performance" upgrades to. If I wanted to constantly add upgrades to it I would have bought a V8 Mustang or Camaro, or maybe Civic or WRX. Cars like that have lots of performance parts available that I could sink thousands on but I'd still be left with a Mustang, Camaro, Civic or WRX.

Not that those are "bad" vehicles, but they're certainly not porsches. Some even have the same engines as their grocery-getter counterparts.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #14

Everyone should own a Porsche in their lifetime, I just bought a 2002 Boxster in Oct. of this year, it had 68K miles on it and all maintenance done on it by the old owner. He had over $5,500.00 in resets for the car, I paid $ 9,000.00 for it.

My point is, a used Porsche Boxster is a bargain no matter how you look at it. for the money you can not find a better handling convertible. This is my second Boxster,my first one was a 99. I drove it for two years and sold it for more money then I bought for. If you work on your Boxster yourself you will save a ton of $$$ they are not hard to work on and also fun to work on, IMO.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #15

As a guy who has been riding motorcycles for 40 years and have owned 33 bikes in that time and still have 3 of my own, I can tell you Boxstering is the closest thing to riding. My wife and I call them the "4 wheeled motorcycle". Sometimes it reminds me of flying the 2 seat single engine low wing plane I learned to fly in.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:33 AM   #16

Well said IDAHO RED !!!!!
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbs986 View Post
I just bought a 2002 Boxster in Oct. of this year, it had 68K miles on it and all maintenance done on it by the old owner....I paid $ 9,000.00 for it.
nice

Old 12-06-2011, 06:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Escalade gets 18mpg highway driving cross-country if you fill up, immediately get on the highway, cruise at 60 mph for 400 miles, get off highway and fill up again. By that comparison we get 30mpg
I live within arm's reach of two major highways and I routinely drive to the other side of state (non-rush hour) to visit friends who also live within blocks off the parkway. I'd say very little of my driving doesn't occurr on the ultra smooth GSP on non-peak hours.
On full tanks and in nearly 8 years of owning this car I have NEVER been anywhere close to 30 mpg. I say I am lucky to even hit 23 mpg (all) highway and that's very smooth throttle, barely tapping the brake, on low revs which isn't at all good for the engine.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
On full tanks and in nearly 8 years of owning this car I have NEVER been anywhere close to 30 mpg. I say I am lucky to even hit 23 mpg (all) highway and that's very smooth throttle, barely tapping the brake, on low revs which isn't at all good for the engine.
I live in your region, and on long haul drives (PA to Cape Cod, PA to upstate NY, etc.) I routinely get 29 MPG. It's slightly lower when I have a second person in the car (27 or 28 MPG) Maybe it's because I have the 2.5 engine? I also use the cruise control a lot on these trips because they are so long. I'll be honest though, I don't keep track of my milage on shorter trips when I do more "spirited" driving.
rteichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:04 AM   #20

I bought mine because it's more exclusive than a SLK or Z3/Z4 and it's more reliable too. Oh and it has two trunks and no extra seats for for tag-a-longs

EvansBlue is offline   Reply With Quote