Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 09:27 PM   #1

Are these OE Porsche locking nuts?

hi Guys,

some time ago i posted a new thread as i had a problem with a broken key for my Boxster wheel locking nuts. I have been to the dealer and he told me that they are unable to order me a replacement for my broken key. I spoke to porscheshopUK and they informed me that if I send them the serial # engraved on the socket they are able to order me a replacement, however I checked everywhere and I could not find any serial # anywhere. I have attached a few pics for you guys to let me know if the locking wheel nuts on the car are in fact porsche OE nuts or aftermarket. Thanks!

Attached Images

rene525d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #2

Garage
Check the others. It's possible that they were only sold in sets of 4 and only 1 of them has the serial number
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #3

None do. I was told the serial # must be on the key.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:37 PM   #4
Registered Boxster abuser

I think at this point I would consider getting rid of the locking bolts. Find a cheap socket to fit over the bolt, bang it on, and twist it off.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:42 AM   #5

Tried that, however i guess they were over tightened and that method does not work.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:41 AM   #6
Registered Boxster abuser

Actually it works pretty good, ( you really need to bang on the socket with a very large hammer to get it on, and use only hand tools to remove the bolt) but since at the time I worked on cars for a living I eventually bought a kit just to remove them from cars. Messing up Snap On sockets got a little expensive.

Another method is to just get any Porsche key and grind out the the inner lugs until it fits. Make sure you only use hand tools to remove and install bolts, thats how most of these get damaged

Last edited by healthservices; 12-22-2011 at 01:45 AM.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:03 AM   #7

Looks like you are caught in a real bind.
If this were my car and problem, I would probably try this next, since you have already tried to get a replacement key without success.
I would make, or in your case, have someone make a steel sleeve that fits tightly around the broken security key. Make sure the outside diameter will fit into the wheel opening. Squeeze the broken key together and press the sleeve over it. It might work long enough to get the lugs off.
You are correct about the serial numbers, I could not find one on mine either.
If it is any satisfaction, you got me off my butt and I bought 4 new regular lugs to replace mine. Been meaning to do this for a long time, but never got around to it.
It is too bad you are so far away from me. I could make a sleeve and send it to you, but by the time it got to you and through customs, I'm sure it wouldl be springtime. Look up a local machine shop, they will be able to make this very easily for you.
Good luck and let us know how it comes out.
Attached Images

3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #8

They look like OEM bolts to me and no my factory key does not have a serial # on it, but the small plastic "zip-loc" bag the key came in does have a number on it that I assume is the pattern number for the key.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:08 AM   #9

The dealer should have a set of keys to remove them. Just use regular lug nuts. Nobody steals stock Porsche rims. That's what I did.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:09 AM   #10
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
A quick alternative that you could do is take a socket and and grind down all but the insert portions you need to remove the socket. This is a common trick used for removing main engine frame bolts on Hayabusa's when dropping the engine. They work well when you can't find or get the sockets from Suzuki.

Here is what I am talking about...and good luck:
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2011, 07:50 AM   #11

I don't know whether they are Porsche OEM or not. Take the car to the dealer for this. They have a master key for all OEM locking nuts. They can remove them if they are OEM.

Instead of buying a replacement key, just buy 4 new non-locking lug nuts. If you insist on locking lug nuts, then buy a new set.