Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
What did the shop tell initially you they were going to do, repair, or replace with new parts?
initially nothing was done because we were waiting for the insurance company to determine what they would pay for, new or repaired. So it's basically been sitting put. Once I received the check I called in to get clarification of what was to be done, that's where I am now. I've not signed a single thing so far.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:18 PM   #22

Without pictures, I can't judge whether to repair or replace, but it sounds like the body shop may be trying to maximize their profit.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #23
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post

I hear you on the corrosion protection but our enthusiast cars tend to be meticulously waxed/maintaned and stored in garages. So I'm not that concerned on that end. These guys deal with a lot of vintage Porsches where long-term durability would definitely be important so I don't doubt the quality of the paint work. I just don't want to get hosed and I'm glad I got the check rather than having the bill sent straight to insurance company.
A factory galvanized body is plated after forming. The corners, edges of the panels, bolt holes and the parts that are covered and mate with other parts are all protected, even if the paint rubs off. Take a look at how the body panels are atached to the car and each other. These are the places where water sits and rust starts, not the exposed flat surfaces that get waxed all the time.

Last edited by blue2000s; 12-16-2011 at 03:51 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote