Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2005, 10:38 AM   #1

bird automotive rack

Has anyone had any experience with the bird automotive rack used for golf clubs or bikes? Like everything else it is a little salty to purchase so I wanted some input to see how well this system would work out. I have a 2001 Boxster and would intend to use the rack for two sets of golf clubs.

Thanks for your help....

jboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:02 AM   #2

I have it. The owner of the company installed it himself at his home in Conneticut. Took about an hour but it would be faster if you had a local mechanic install it on lift. Not cheap at $400 but you get what you pay for. The other options for bikes required me to buy Thule and Yakima bike accessories in addition to the hitch mount itself so that would have been closer to $600(yikes).
Putting on the rack only takes 10 minutes but you have to be careful installing and removing the straps so as not to drop the metal/plastic hooks and fasteners on your trunk. When you remove the rack the permanent attachment tubes that sit under the car are unoticeable. I leave the bottom half of the rack on daily since I bike everyday(although it hasn't worked out that way this summer). The only tedious aspect is unscrewing the levers that hold the top half of the rack. A quick release lever would be ideal. Maybe I'll explore that.
I would definitely recommend it for the price. The only drawback is that it shakes quite a bit but that's unavoidable with the angle of the boxster under carriage.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote