Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 05:39 AM   #1

Question Relocate climate control panell?

Greetings,

I was wondering if it was possible to Relocate the climate control panel from the lower console area to where the cup holders currently are?
Just purchased an '01 Boxster (pics soon) and looking to do some work on it.

Thanks!

Last edited by supersparker; 12-15-2011 at 05:50 AM.
supersparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:40 AM   #2

Yes, it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersparker View Post
Greetings,

I was wondering if it was possible to Relocate the climate control panel from the lower console area to where the cup holders currently are?
Just purchased an '01 Boxster (pics soon) and looking to do some work on it.

Thanks!
... I recently did the contrary.
Relocated from the top to the bottom to make room for additional gauges.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 12-15-2011, 07:22 AM   #3

The answer is Yes.

I did it on my '01 because I thought the cupholders were useless, and the PO had screwed up the climate control by dropping drinks on it from the aforementioned useless cupholders!

I sold the cupholders and put in a storage caddy at the bottom. At the same time I got rid of the equally useless CD storage unit, and replaced that with another storage cubby.

Search "cupholderectomy" and you should find lots of useful info.

Notes from my project:

The upper and lower empty trays (at the bottom) are different:
996 552 253 01 01C Satin Black Upper Shelf
996 552 243 01 01C Satin Black Lower Shelf

The a/c trim you need is 996 552 677 00 01C. Also need 2 brackets for the a/c display in the new location - 996 573 501 00. Storage bin for where the a/c display was - 996 552 243 01 01C.

You'll need the radio removal keys, as having the radio out is pretty much required to give room to work.

Removal of cd shelf and cupholders:

The cd shelf just pulls out. Remove the trim and 4 screws behind the trim and the cupholder assembly just pulls out. We did have to pull the side pods out to get the cupholders out (they pull straight off).

Removal of a/c display:

Be careful when dealing with the a/c display unit. You don’t want the “rising sun” syndrome of the leaking LCD fluid, which can potentially happen if you handle it the wrong way. (But if it does happen, be aware there’s a good cheap rebuild kit available on eBay.)

Remove the trim for the a/c display and the screws behind it, then it just pulls out. Then disconnect the black and red connectors attached to the back of the a/c display.

Relocate a/c display to where cupholders used to be:

Pull the radio out to assist in getting the a/c cable up to where the cupholders used to be. "Sock" your shift knob before pulling the radio (to protect the knob from the sharp edges of the radio).

Put in the 2 brackets that the a/c display will slide into. There is 1 screw for each bracket. Some people put their bracket in upside down. The slots on the brackets face the a/c display.

Putting it back together:

There is a metal bracket with an opening and a black cable coming through the opening. The a/c display cable also used to come through that opening when it was in the lower position. You pull the cable to the back of that opening then run it straight up to where the cupholders used to be. The red and black connectors are so large that you will have to play around with it a while. A lot easier to reroute the cable with the pedestal sides off and radio pulled.