Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #41

Zero regrets at all but I hope that one day I will also have a Targa from the mid eighties ...
Black with tan interior, Santa please....

2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #42
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthservices View Post
I guess it depends on what you are doing. When driving from OC to LA during heavy traffic, I would pick the Lexus over the boxer each and every time. The drive is so much more enjoyable when you don't have to hear each and every sound the cars around you make as you drive. The ability to shut the hardtop and the outside noise is a big plus. The softer ride is also a plus with the horrible roads we have here commuting
:ah:
986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #43
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
I'll take the 458 Spyder with the leggy blonde in it.

Outrun: the Ferrari 458 Spider driven - BBC Top Gear

Quote:
"We're bringing a model," explains Ed-in-Chief Charlie Turner
Get the Boxster and you can afford the model or sit alone in the Ferrari
Old 12-15-2011, 08:35 PM   #44
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
Hey it's a moving sofa with a very nice sound system... what more can you ask for when you need a nap?
naw, sofa's have more trunk space than a sc430

Old 12-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #45

An older Camaro or Corvette for the same amount of money. I could have driven the hell out of it on the track without it blowing up, and it would have been cheaper to own and maintain.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #46

An air cooled 911, which is what I ended up selling the Boxster for to get. Frankly, the Boxster was better handling and just as if not quicker, much more trunk space also. For me, the itch for a 993 911 was never going to go away, buying one was inevitable. IMO, the 993's classic shape / lines / rear hips are by far the best of the Porsche 911 series, I also love driving it. It's mechanical sounds and no nonsense interior seem from another era, the performance isn't too shabby either.

BTW, my neighbor has an older Ferrari, if you think a Boxster's repair / maintenance is ridiculous.........................
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:17 AM   #47

Instead of a Boxster, I would have bought (and did buy) a 997S. In early 2008 I bought a 2005 997S coupe and sold my 2001 base Boxster. While I liked driving the 997, it was never as much fun for me as the Boxster. It is much heavier feeling and since the one I had was a coupe, the top didn't go down. I sold the 997 last spring and this October bought a low mileage 2001 Boxster S. I am having much more fun with the Boxster than with the 997.
linklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:46 AM   #48

Instead of the Boxster? I looked at the S2000 - too small, look at the Miata - overpriced for what you were getting. I would have considered a Z350 rag top, but there were none to be found.
I am pleased with the Boxster, except for that one time in Florida when the car was at the Dealers for 10 days with a broken for mechanism.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:57 AM   #49

I have to admit, when I bought the Boxster, it was only to get in the Porsche family but I fell in love with it. With that said, this are my all time favorite:
930 Slant Nose

Or: 993
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:16 AM   #50

I’m very happy with my purchase. I considered and researched a ton of cars before arriving at the Boxster. To name a few S2000, TT, Mini, M3, S4, 330ci, 996, etc... If the Cayman were offered as a 986 and used models were like used Boxster prices I would’ve bought a Cayman. That’s really only because I don’t really like convertibles. That said, 3 out of 5 cars I’ve owned have been convertibles.

Boxster and 996 Turbo are the best bang for you buck at this time. A friend of mine just picked up a 996 Turbo for $33K w/40K miles. Can’t beat that for a $127K new.

All that said, if I got rid of the Boxster I’d buy a 993. I couldn’t afford the 993 so, I bought a Boxster.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:30 AM   #51

After owning the the 2006 987S for a couple years, I got the itch for an air-cooled Turbo, and added this to the garage in 2009. Best of many worlds:
Attached Images

Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:37 AM   #52

Guilty of Blasphemy

Instead of my 08 Cayman, I wish I had bought a Mini Cooper S. I enjoy the Cayman ... beautiful car, runs great, fun to drive ... but at the end of the day, it's really just another car, and an expensive, impractical one that ends up sitting in my garage through the week and through six months of winter. It also has the IMS issue hanging over it once the warranty is over with and the dealer is incompetent and 40 miles away. My battery just went dead after three years and just like every time it does need some kind of service, it becomes a major ordeal. And this state hits me up for a ton of personal property tax each year just for the privilege of owning an expensive car.

By contrast the Cooper is also a beautiful car (no Cayman, but not bad, either) and would be equally fun on the city streets where I almost always have to drive. I coulda had a whole lot of fun with the extra $20K. The Cooper would be driveable in winter due to front-wheel drive -- you don't baby a $30K car the way you do a $60K car -- and my wife could drive it to the dealer for service (with automatic).

I kinda sorta also regret not getting the 370Z because the dealer is just 3 miles from my house, but that would have a lot of the same problems I have with the Cayman, plus it's relatively ugly to look at.

Regardless of the regrets, however, I made my decision and there are enough merits to the Cayman that I plan to stay the course rather than get soaked again in selling or trading.
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #53

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
Instead of my 08 Cayman, I wish I had bought a Mini Cooper S. I enjoy the Cayman ... beautiful car, runs great, fun to drive ... but at the end of the day, it's really just another car, and an expensive, impractical one that ends up sitting in my garage through the week and through six months of winter.
Seems like you could just drive the Cayman more... that will keep the battery charged and the bearings happy. It's just a car (and not a collectible), and it's still getting older even just sitting in your garage.

I'm quite happy with my purchase. However, I had some issues with the bank I intended to use when buying the Box that resulted in me paying cash. If I had known I was going to pay cash, I probably would have looked for an air cooled 911 instead.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
My battery just went dead after three years
+3 years on a Porsche battery is pretty common. Buy a battery maintainer. If not being driven, be plugged in.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #55

enjoy the best

Porsche is the bench mark. Drive the car........ alot! yes machines break just like my boat, motorcycles,bicycles house,camper ,truck,wifes s.u.v.. Its like fishing,you have to believe in the bait choice. Well believe in the car they are extremely reliable fairly easy to take care of and hands down the best driving experience.I am a salesman who drives alot,was driving a big truck, looked for something alot better on gas 17,000 for Toyota, Hyundai I opted for a blk. box S 02 88,000 miles for 17 grand, within 60 days 3800 dollars in wear items then 4 months later water pump window regulator oil change cabin filter air filter... 1300 dollars.........needles to say I was discouraged.Then I realized I no longer dreaded driving anywhere just the opposite I always am sad when I reached my destination.Also realized that basically it is just a car, ever since then and 20,000 miles trouble free couldn't be happier as well as thinking that the box S in some respect is faster and handles better than some more expensive models. I must also mention that cosmetically this car is almost perfect inside and out. this particular model is a 911 from rear wheels forward IDENTICAL.Please drive the car it wont break if so fix it like you fix any machine.
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #56

Really ?

A cooper is just as fun as a porsche ? Really?
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:51 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicecar View Post
A cooper is just as fun as a porsche ? Really?
The statement was that a Cooper S would be equally fun as the Cayman on city streets. I'll stand by that. Of course the Porsche would be far superior on a curvy country road ... but I don't get many chances to drive such roads and I almost always end up with Uncle Joe in his old pickup truck driving 45 mph right in front of me. Most of my driving ends up being commuting and errand-running on city streets and interstates. If anything could be fun under those conditions, it seems to me that a turbocharged tiny, nimble car costing $25K would be a hoot to weave in and out of traffic compared to constantly worrying that some idiot would run into your $50K Porsche or worse, vandalize your car in a parking lot because they think you are rich.
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #58

I should have bought a pre-owned lotus exige. With each passing year, I only drive the box at the track and the exige is arguably one of the best street legal track cars you can buy.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:47 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_K View Post
I owned a fully paid for C6 Corvette when I bought a 100k mile Boxster. I like driving the Boxster more, so I sold the Corvette.

Uh, oh...try saying that on the corvetteforum, you will be blacklisted for life!!!!!

Of course, I concur with you because the Boxster is still my favorite car despite my current or past sports cars of 300zx, nsx-t, c6 Z51, z06, maserati coupe.
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:49 PM   #60

To follow somewhat with OP's instructions.

My Boxster is a keep forever car, my next cars are GTR and Mustang Boss Laguna Seca.

If things go really well, then SLS, Murcielago...I am praying.

06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote