986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Gear Oil 75W-90 (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/32066-gear-oil-75w-90-a.html)

Flavor 987S 12-16-2011 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue2000s (Post 268829)
$72 in gear oil. Kinda feel like Porsche's favorite past time is...

Comments like this are always kinda funny.:)

How did you spend this month at Starbucks/Caribou Coffee/Peet's/Biggy/etc.?

$72 over 50,000 miles = $0.00144/mile (proactive maintenance)

$72 over 100,000 miles = $0.00072/mile (Porsche scheduled maintenance)

You can afford it, Blue. Now, do the right thing (who can name the TV show?).

$72 to protect a $4K trans? No brainer.

jmatta 12-16-2011 04:33 AM

I always get a kick when people buy a Porsche and then try to skimp on maintenance costs. If you wish to save $, learn to do maintenance or repairs yourself, but always use the finest products.

blue2000s 12-16-2011 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavor 987S (Post 268938)
Comments like this are always kinda funny.:)

How did you spend this month at Starbucks/Caribou Coffee/Peet's/Biggy/etc.?

$72 over 50,000 miles = $0.00144/mile (proactive maintenance)

$72 over 100,000 miles = $0.00072/mile (Porsche scheduled maintenance)

You can afford it, Blue. Now, do the right thing (who can name the TV show?).

$72 to protect a $4K trans? No brainer.

I spend $0.00 on coffee every year, thank you very much.

If you think I made that comment without consideration of value, you're sorely mistaken. It's everyone's responsibility to be a smart consumer and vote for products that provide the performance required for the price that is compeditive within the market. This mindless "buy it because Porsche says so and it costs more because it's better" crap is the real problem.

blue2000s 12-16-2011 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmatta (Post 268947)
I always get a kick when people buy a Porsche and then try to skimp on maintenance costs. If you wish to save $, learn to do maintenance or repairs yourself, but always use the finest products.

I always get a kick when someone posts that they've just installed the greatest component ever because someone on the internet told them it was so.

Meir 12-16-2011 06:32 AM

i agree

Especially when it has to do with the power train.
Oil system, cooling system - only OE or after market parts that are recommended as better.
Just changed my water pump, hoses, coolant and thermostat.
All parts are OE accept for the thermo from LN.
The total cost was 600$ - half of what I would pay in a dealership.
If I would use after market parts, I could save 200$. Is that a lot? Yes
Dose it worth it? Not to me.
Next project I intend to do, is replacing the torn rubber boots on my rear axel.
I thinking about replacing the CV joint as well, although they are not “clicking”
In that case I will probably use an after market product, but only one that is an OEM supplier.

blue2000s 12-16-2011 06:47 AM

Subarus have very touchy syncros. Subaru has a proprietary synthetic transmission oil that they use called Extra-S. It makes a noticeable difference in performance when used compared to other fluids. Last year, I went to the dealer with a 1 gallon empty jug and had them fill it up with Extra S for $8.23/quart. That's value, that's customer service, and that's the way it should be. That's why I comment and that's why you guys who mindlessly go along with what some false authority tells you are messing it up for everyone.

Flavor 987S 12-16-2011 06:55 AM

So Blue, what trans fluid do you receommend? What do you use? When did you change it last, if ever? VIN number, or at least the last few digits.

stephen wilson 12-16-2011 10:29 AM

Meir,
You shouldn't have to replace the CV's, just clean, regrease, and install a new boot. I've replace the boots on my Toyota truck many times, but I still have the original joints at 185,000 miles.

blue2000s 12-17-2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavor 987S (Post 268962)
So Blue, what trans fluid do you receommend? What do you use? When did you change it last, if ever? VIN number, or at least the last few digits.

I buy Swepco tranny oil (our forum owner says he does too) and Zerez coolant and my car runs great.

VIN number? What's your wife's middle name? Just as random a question.

jmatta 12-17-2011 03:31 PM

"I always get a kick when someone posts that they've just installed the greatest component ever because someone on the internet told them it was so."

What is your comment supposed to mean? I follow the advice of the experts here, not the Walmart jockeys. Jake Raby, Charles Navarro and JFP in PA have a lot more insight as to the "real world", than the vast majority of posters here. Put whatever you want in your car...I'm not going to buy it...I prefer mine to last a few more years.

blue2000s 12-17-2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmatta (Post 269197)
"I always get a kick when someone posts that they've just installed the greatest component ever because someone on the internet told them it was so."

What is your comment supposed to mean? I follow the advice of the experts here, not the Walmart jockeys. Jake Raby, Charles Navarro and JFP in PA have a lot more insight as to the "real world", than the vast majority of posters here. Put whatever you want in your car...I'm not going to buy it...I prefer mine to last a few more years.

Exactly. :rolleyes: