Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2005, 09:43 AM   #1

Door Speakers

I'm upgrading my stereo. The current plan is to go with an Alpine 9855 head unit, JLAudio amp (300/4), rear speakers (PNP), Boston Acoustics 4" components in the dash and Boston Acoustics coaxials in the doors.

How much work is it to fit 6.5" speakers into the doors? Is that work worth the improved sound of a 6.5" over 5.25"?

thanks,

rboutin
2001S

rboutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 10:32 AM   #2

Good luck with the upgrade! I recently did one myself, but without the rear speakers, and small subs in the doors instead of coaxials......
Heres a link that might help you out tho.....

http://www.carltonbale.com/boxster/audio/

Work done '06 :Replaced bad hose and clamps from reservoir tank
oil change and filter
replaced seals on both cam covers
brakes bled and refilled
Replaced bent rear right lower control arm
Front air dams and 3 underbody panels replaced
Halogen headlamps replaced
bigislandboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 10:45 AM   #3

Thanks, what did you end up going with for components? Would you change anything after hearing the result?
Old 07-17-2005, 11:37 AM   #4

I upgraded to a Nakamichi CD400 head unit, Focal 4" 2 way component speakers in the dash using the stock grilles, Focal 5 3/8" subs in the doors, and a 4 channel Audison amp 60w x 4......I like the results a lot! Those little subs can really kick it out! The Nak has a separate sub output, so I just ran that to the rear input on the amp and set the low pass on the amp at 50hz.....One thing I didn't do that I may go back and do, is fill the small area where the sub is with that cotton filler like you use for fish tank filters.....Might make the bass even a tad more tighter sounding.....

Work done '06 :Replaced bad hose and clamps from reservoir tank
oil change and filter
replaced seals on both cam covers
brakes bled and refilled
Replaced bent rear right lower control arm
Front air dams and 3 underbody panels replaced
Halogen headlamps replaced
bigislandboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 12:50 PM   #5

Have you checked the rating on those PNP's? I have them too, which are the ones sold for the speaker box ... I don't know if they're rated for the amount of wattage your amp is running considering the factory amp is 50 watts per channel. Your 300 will drive them at 75 w.p.c.

Now I have no experience with having larger speakers put in the doors, but I've read online that larger speakers require custom fabrication of grills, carpeting, etc. You may want to check with a shop who does this sort of things on 996's and 986's like the one that BigIslandBoxster posted for me on a different thread. Do a search on his screen name and you'll find it.

One thing I never thought of when I replaced my head unit was how loud the rear speakers become when used with an aftermarket system. Evidently, in the Becker head unit the rear speakers don't get nearly the wattage that the front and door speakers receive. I make this comment because I have mine set to 85% front, 15% rear now and it was 60% forward and 40% forward before. Just something to think about.

Hope this helps!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 01:46 PM   #6

Have you guys figured out a way to plug in a MP3 player into the stock stereo without using the FM transmitter thing?
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 03:28 PM   #7

I plan to run the rear speakers off the head unit to keep the power in check.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:49 PM   #8

Rail, the CRD220 has an aux in port in the back that's supposed to support an Ipod, etc. I read that on a description of one for sale on Ebay. The seller said they'd throw in the plug/cable at no extra charge.

The CDR210, though, has no plug and the FM transmitter thingy is the only way to pipe it in if I am not mistaken. That's the reason I went aftermarket with an Alpine unit. I don't have an Ipod, but if I get one I know I can just plug it in and put one of those brackets on the side to hold the Ipod in place. The Alpine unit I bought even controls the Ipod and will randomly pull MP3's from it.

Rboutin: Sounds like you've got a good plan of action. Do report back on how it all works when it's in and blasting!

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote