Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 05:59 AM   #1

Garage
Help - Horrible Clanking Sound when locking doors

I have noticed this terrible clanking or rattling sound when I lock the doors with the remote.

What is this? Is it normal.

I did a search and only found one posting that pointed to the fuel door making the noise but, the repair was not clear on how to stop it.

Any help is appreciated.

Ocean Blue Metallic/Savannah Beige | Tiptronic | Custom Rear Spoiler | 17" Turbo twist | Red Brembo Calipers | GAHH Top w/Glass Window | Tinted Windows | Cruise Control | Leather Interior | Heated Seats | Color Wheel Caps | Traction Control | Debadged

Last edited by John99Boxster; 12-11-2011 at 06:29 AM.
John99Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #2

Garage
Update;

The noise is coming from inside of the fuel door:

What is the rubber donut next to the pin?

Ocean Blue Metallic/Savannah Beige | Tiptronic | Custom Rear Spoiler | 17" Turbo twist | Red Brembo Calipers | GAHH Top w/Glass Window | Tinted Windows | Cruise Control | Leather Interior | Heated Seats | Color Wheel Caps | Traction Control | Debadged
Old 12-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #3

Garage
Anything look WRONG here

Old 12-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #4

lets see the door when the pin engages. just checked mine. i don't have the "rubber donut" but my guess is it's essentially a seal when the pin moves in and out. in otherwords the pin should be sliding in and out through the donut.

my guess is there's something missing on the door or the pin is wobbling and striking something.

have you checked if the door is actually locked with the doors?

ok. took a couple of pics of mine:
1. the donut is there, but it's behind the metal of the - what's the word? - fuel door area?
2. i also have a little rubber gasket where the door meets the "stop" on the "fuel door area." since you don't have one, the door may be going in a little further than it should causing the pin to strike on some metal piece.
3. make sure the plastic hole the pin slides into on the actual door is secure.
Attached Images

Last edited by tonycarreon; 12-11-2011 at 10:21 AM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #5

Garage
Tony. Thank you so much! I fit the pin through the donut and found the rubber stopper for the door laying in the cavity of the fuel door.

I put everything in its place and ......NO RATTLE!

Thanks again
Old 12-13-2011, 11:12 AM   #6

Tony, your locking pin is not secure. You need to pull the set "washer" through and turn it to lock it in place. Otherwise, it will likely not lock your fuel door most of the time.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #7

John show a photo (like Tony did) showing the locking pin from the front looking directly at the pin. Your side photo looks like your pin is protruding too far.