Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2005, 05:06 PM   #1

Anyone have/use the factory service manuals

I know I just got my boxster but I generally I like to service my cars for most of the basics. Anyone have the factory manuals or any of the manuals listed on Ebay? Just wondering if they were of real use and what the quality was. How else are you guys figuring out how to fix/service your Boxsters? This is a great board btw. Thanks

boxstter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 08:42 PM   #2

I use AllData DIY ($25/year subscription) for most of my repairs. If I can't find it there, there are some good how-to's on the net for some things. I mostly just dig in and figure it out if it's not listed in the AllData DIY or I can't find it on the net. As the Boxster ages, there will be more and more how-to pages posted so they will be easier to find. You can just about re-build the 928 from all of the great pages on the internet since it's much older so be on the lookout for more Boxster stuff.

I don't have the FSMs for the Boxster. If they are anything like the the ones for the 928 they definitely are not worth the $500-$600 for the printed set. The 928 manuals, even though they are 9 volumes, are written for mechanics and assume you already know a lot of things.

Usually, if I can't find it at AllData or on the internet, I can post a question here and someone has BTDT and knows where to go.

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 10:02 PM   #3

Ask your dealer how much is the factory 986 $hop manual if it can even be ordered. Plus it is not good for the usual DIYer.

Bently has been hinting for years that they may come out with a manual. In fact they asked my mechanic friend to help with it but he does not have the time. They have recently sent him some drafts so it looks like it is in the works.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 05:37 AM   #4

Thanks for the info guys

I'll have to check out this All Data thing - looks like it could be interesting. I got my Land Rover manuals and they are actually really good for the DIY guy. Same with my 280Z and CRX. Haven't seen the TT manual yet but I just got done with my free service on that so I have just started looking but it looks like All Data may take care of the TT and the Boxster both. This is the best board - everyone here has got the smarts.

boxstter is offline   Reply With Quote