Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 05:50 PM   #21

I understand what you are saying, Im talking about doing the job myself with the tools and belt ready (and by myself) a shop normally charges whatever the book time is (all data or whatever) with a 1 hour minimum charge from my experience.

fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #22

I worked on imports, mainly Honda's and Toyota's for about 5 years all through college. I now do all my own work. Besides where the engine is located which is uncommon to most cars, these things are pretty damn easy to work on. It amazes me how many people don't do their own work. I have ran into a few other Boxster owners in the area and after talking to them I always offer that if they need any work I would be happy to help them out as I have the same car and do all my own work. I have yet to have anyone take me up on that offer. I guess I need a building full of fancy tools and a nice lobby and a lit sign out front with a labor rate that is twice what it should be before I would be considered to be a decent candidate.

As a mechanic, I used the Mitchell system estimator also. If it quoted 2 hours and I know ways to do the job in 45 mins, you usually got charged 2 hours. I shouldn't get less pay because I have the skill or knowledge of doing a job faster. The other side of that is if something didn't go my way and it took me 3 hours well then I was working for minimum wage, sometimes less.

In regards to the original post... I couldn't afford a $600+ repair bill. Especially for something so minor. If you don't don't do your own work then you are going to have to deal with parts mark up and outrageous labor rates.

Looks like the parts would have cost roughly $100. Then say at max 2 hours to change everything. I would have looked at it as making(ok saving) $250 an hour. I'll do just about anything for $250hr.

I'm not trying to be rude but I feel posts like these are kind of like you not getting screwed over by a shop, but more like screwing over yourself and then not liking the outcome.