Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 08:07 AM   #1

Snow Tires

I have a 2005 boxster with front snow tires that are in great shape. The rears have been worn down as Boxsters are know to do.

The question is, I can get 2 Michellin rears, the stores of course insist I have a matching set of 4 for proper tread and performance.

I just don't see the need to drop an additional 400-500 on front snows.

I am assuming I'll be more than great with fresh tires on the back regardless of brands.

Any thoughts?

super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #2

you'll be great as long as "great" means "bad"
Old 12-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon View Post
you'll be great as long as "great" means "bad"
Huh? You will be fine super
Ocean Blue Metallic/Savannah Beige | Tiptronic | Custom Rear Spoiler | 17" Turbo twist | Red Brembo Calipers | GAHH Top w/Glass Window | Tinted Windows | Cruise Control | Leather Interior | Heated Seats | Color Wheel Caps | Traction Control | Debadged
John99Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by super66 View Post
I have a 2005 boxster with front snow tires that are in great shape. The rears have been worn down as Boxsters are know to do.

The question is, I can get 2 Michellin rears, the stores of course insist I have a matching set of 4 for proper tread and performance.

I just don't see the need to drop an additional 400-500 on front snows.

I am assuming I'll be more than great with fresh tires on the back regardless of brands.

Any thoughts?
You'll probably be fine as long as you don't have to stop or turn. ;-)
Old 12-07-2011, 07:50 AM   #5
Registered Boxster abuser

boy, you sure feel the love, don't you?
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #6

As long as your fronts have good tread and haven't expired due to age, you should be good to go with just replacing the rears. Of course it's best to get rears that match the fronts. No reason to replace the fronts (winter or summer) if they still have good tread when only the rears are worn and you can get matching rears.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:24 AM   #7

Alright decision made. I'm getting the 2 rears, the fronts have plenty of life, if I struggle in the first snow fall, I can buy new fronts then.

Now I just have to find the best route to work with no stops or turns
Old 12-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #8

I think the confusion is your sentence: "I am assuming I'll be more than great with fresh tires on the back regardless of brands." Which is patently incorrect. You will be far less than great.

Brand, model and consistency between front and rear matter a great deal. Simply buying random "Winter" tires for the rear and ignoring their compatibility with the fronts is dangerous. Additionally, buying "random" rears and then replacing fronts if it doesn't work out is, well, ridiculous. If you need only new rear tires, then buy what you have on the front to match. Otherwise buy a new set of tires, have them siped and/or studded, if your Winter's need this, and drive safely.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #9

"If you need only new rear tires, then buy what you have on the front to match."

Trust me I tried, apparently locating the continentals I needed to match my fronts was near impossible. Many a failed google searches and dealers that couldn't get them. I actually think they stopped making them in the 18 inch size I needed. 265 40 R18

I went with Michellins which was about ALL i came across. So with that said, I have the mich rears and the car feels already AMAZINGLY better.

All this being said, if possible I would love to downgrade to a 16 inch rim and put on some blizzaks. I looked into 17 inch packages and the size they recommend is light on options as well. 16 would also be considerably less than what I had to shell out for the 18 inchers....OUCH
Old 12-14-2011, 11:42 PM   #10

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
yeah i recently bought some michelin pilot alpin pa3's and had to go with a 205/235 combo just to get a matched set in 17"...

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote