986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Snow Tires (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/31721-snow-tires.html)

super66 12-06-2011 08:07 AM

Snow Tires

I have a 2005 boxster with front snow tires that are in great shape. The rears have been worn down as Boxsters are know to do.

The question is, I can get 2 Michellin rears, the stores of course insist I have a matching set of 4 for proper tread and performance.

I just don't see the need to drop an additional 400-500 on front snows.

I am assuming I'll be more than great with fresh tires on the back regardless of brands.

Any thoughts?

tonycarreon 12-06-2011 12:23 PM

you'll be great as long as "great" means "bad"

John99Boxster 12-06-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonycarreon (Post 267346)
you'll be great as long as "great" means "bad"

Huh? You will be fine super

Dave S. 12-07-2011 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by super66 (Post 267310)
I have a 2005 boxster with front snow tires that are in great shape. The rears have been worn down as Boxsters are know to do.

The question is, I can get 2 Michellin rears, the stores of course insist I have a matching set of 4 for proper tread and performance.

I just don't see the need to drop an additional 400-500 on front snows.

I am assuming I'll be more than great with fresh tires on the back regardless of brands.

Any thoughts?

You'll probably be fine as long as you don't have to stop or turn. ;-)

healthservices 12-07-2011 07:50 AM

boy, you sure feel the love, don't you? :rolleyes:

Aron in Toronto 12-07-2011 02:07 PM

As long as your fronts have good tread and haven't expired due to age, you should be good to go with just replacing the rears. Of course it's best to get rears that match the fronts. No reason to replace the fronts (winter or summer) if they still have good tread when only the rears are worn and you can get matching rears.

super66 12-09-2011 07:24 AM

Alright decision made. I'm getting the 2 rears, the fronts have plenty of life, if I struggle in the first snow fall, I can buy new fronts then.

Now I just have to find the best route to work with no stops or turns :)

DenverSteve 12-09-2011 02:10 PM

I think the confusion is your sentence: "I am assuming I'll be more than great with fresh tires on the back regardless of brands." Which is patently incorrect. You will be far less than great.

Brand, model and consistency between front and rear matter a great deal. Simply buying random "Winter" tires for the rear and ignoring their compatibility with the fronts is dangerous. Additionally, buying "random" rears and then replacing fronts if it doesn't work out is, well, ridiculous. If you need only new rear tires, then buy what you have on the front to match. Otherwise buy a new set of tires, have them siped and/or studded, if your Winter's need this, and drive safely.

super66 12-14-2011 10:09 AM

"If you need only new rear tires, then buy what you have on the front to match."

Trust me I tried, apparently locating the continentals I needed to match my fronts was near impossible. Many a failed google searches and dealers that couldn't get them. I actually think they stopped making them in the 18 inch size I needed. 265 40 R18

I went with Michellins which was about ALL i came across. So with that said, I have the mich rears and the car feels already AMAZINGLY better.

All this being said, if possible I would love to downgrade to a 16 inch rim and put on some blizzaks. I looked into 17 inch packages and the size they recommend is light on options as well. 16 would also be considerably less than what I had to shell out for the 18 inchers....OUCH

Dave928 12-14-2011 11:42 PM

yeah i recently bought some michelin pilot alpin pa3's and had to go with a 205/235 combo just to get a matched set in 17"...